Carb before or after lagering? Or does it matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
I've moved my beer to a corny keg and it's been in the freezer now for 2 weeks at 38F "lagering".

I intend to lager it for a couple of months. Longer the better really.

What I'm wondering is, can I hook the gas line up to it to let it carb up over a week or two, or should I wait until it's done 'lagering' first? Or does it matter?

Kal

I have always lagered first in the carboy, and then bottled and kept them at 70 degrees while they carbed up.

You can't carb while lagering- it's too cold, and the purpose is to have the yeast drop out some.

YooperBrew said:
You can't carb while lagering- it's too cold, and the purpose is to have the yeast drop out some.
Maybe I should have added that I'm artificially carbonating, not with priming sugar. I edited my first post.

I've moved my beer to a corny keg and it's been in the freezer now for 2 weeks at 38F "lagering".

I intend to lager it for a couple of months.

What I'm wondering is, can I hook the gas line up to it to let it carb up over a week or two, or should I wait until it's done 'lagering' first? Or does it matter?

Kal

kal said:
Maybe I should have added that I'm artificially carbonating, not with priming sugar. I edited my first post.

I intend to lager it for a couple of months.

Kal
Since you are force carbonating, the answer is Yes you can, and yes, you should. CO2 will dissolve more easily in cold beer. You'll need to keep it cold once it's carbed.

Yep. Good point. Everything's lagering of course.

I'll hook up the Co2 line! The bonus of course is that the day that I deem it "lagered enough", it'll be completely carbed and ready to drink. (Though maybe that's not a good thing... I'll end up tapping the keg sooner). :)

Thanks guys!

Kal

Back