where to find bulk kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful buying used kegs in bulk. I used to sell over 100 kegs / month but the past 2 loads I received were junk. They were so ugly that I threw 20% away. Now I only sell new kegs.

All sources of used 5 gallon kegs will dry up, just like used 2.5 & 10 gallon kegs did and when this happens the retail price of used 5 gallon kegs will go over $85.00 each.

Not really, we have all been lucky to have access to cheap used kegs as long as we have. Instead of scrapping kegs whole, the soda industry could have decided to crush them - but they didn't.

But as the value of used kegs continue to go up new kegs will become more attractive. And at ~$120 new kegs really are a good deal particularly when you consider that the average used keg is over 30 years old. And with a new keg you are starting out brand new, with all new gaskets, new lid, new closure gasket and a nice new finish.

Not really, we have all been lucky to have access to cheap used kegs as long as we have. Instead of scrapping kegs whole, the soda industry could have decided to crush them - but they didn't.

But as the value of used kegs continue to go up new kegs will become more attractive. And at ~$120 new kegs really are a good deal particularly when you consider that the average used keg is over 30 years old. And with a new keg you are starting out brand new, with all new gaskets, new lid, new closure gasket and a nice new finish.

I expect new kegs price to increase as well. Supply and demand. I'd get them now if I were you.

New keg prices have been going down for over a year now(Italy). Now there is even more options available for the market and it will cause even more downwards pressure (China). We are even seeing more markets starting to produce (India). As more options and competition come the quality goes up from the new producers and competition will drive prices for new even further down.

Actually I did a group buy with my HBC and several other clubs here in Denver. I am only in for 5 but I managed to get 69 other people in on the deal. I even posted a thread in the group buy section on HBT. It got locked just after I ended the buy. Apparently the Group Buy section is for grain only. I thought 60 kegs would be ambitious but it peaked at 247. One of our Club members owns a brewery and is letting me have them delivered there. Now I am just waiting on the call from the freight company so I can go inspect and sign for them.

Back