Janet's Brown Ale - morebeer.com recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasty's recipe is famous and available all over the internet as well as in Jamil's book Brewing Classic Styles.

If it's Tasty's recipe, it's an awesome recipe and makes a fantastic American brown ale. It's probably my favorite beer.

I brewed this two months ago using the (extract) recipie in Brewing Classic Styles. I sampled one after four weeks and it was good, but it is markedly better after two months in the bottle. I read somewhere that Tasty recommends conditioning for an extended period (I believe 4-6 months) before drinking. I think that is good advice, but it is an excellent beer even now.

I have it fermenting right now. I just added the dry hops to it, It calls for 7 more days in the fermenter and then bottle time. I used the more beer version and Tasty helped them formulate it. I can post the ingredients maybe wednesday night.

Well I had time to dig it up after all tonight, Here it is:

9lbs LME
1lbs DME Bavarian wheat

1lb carapils
1lb crystal 40L
4oz crystal 40L
8oz chocolate malt

2oz Northern Brewer 60min
1oz Northern Brewer last 15min
1.5oz cascade last 10 min
1.5oz cascade last 1 min
20z centennial dry hops after 7 days in the fermenter

whirlfloc 1/2 tab at last 5min

There ya have it. Before buying this kit all I heard was great stuff about it. I did not know how Hoppy a beer this was. So far it tastes pretty good. still fermenting though. :mug:

It's a hell of a beer, that's for sure. I did the extract version several batches ago and at 8 weeks in the keg, the beer transformed into one of the best I'd made. The roast came out and melded with the hops something fierce. Highly recommended.

I have the morebeer Janet's brown extract kit in primary now. Day 9. I'm planning on a 14 day primary before I add the dry hops for 7 days, then bottle. Sounds like I will need to exercise some serious restraint once I bottle.:)

I brewed this up a while back and it was GOOD! I also enjoyed a bit more conditioning time than normal, but it's at the top if not a bit stronger than the style calls for, and the extra hops remain evident even that long.

Just to confirm, are the second and third specialty grains really both crystal 40L?

I think the extract version in BCS lists 1.25 lb. each of carapils and Crystal 40. Also, I think the BCS recipe actually calls for 8.4 lbs of light LME and 1.0 lbs of wheat LME. I think the main thing is that your OG should be approx. 1066 and IBU's in the low 60's, using Northern Brewer as bittering, Cascade at the end of the boil and Centennial to dry hop. I've seen some online discussion of an "imperial" version that is 1.074 (I believe).

I'm brewing the extract w/steeping grains version this weekend, and planning to substitute DME for LME and adding a 1/2 lb of Muscovado, but otherwise following the BCS recipe.

The MoreBeer all grain kit was close to the original recipe but was missing the carapils and 1/2 oz shy on the northern brewer hops. I just put the first six pack in the fridge. It wasn't my best brew day but I hope it comes out ok.

Sorry I haven't used the extract version but as long as you got the 8 oz of hops, I'm sure the grain bill is close and will make a tasty brew.

i just brewed the morebeer recipe up on sunday. it looks and smells fantastic. i'll be sure to report back when it's ready. on a side note, the morebeer kit overall was good, but getting all the lme out of that foil pouch was a pain.

i just brewed the morebeer recipe up on sunday. it looks and smells fantastic. i'll be sure to report back when it's ready. on a side note, the morebeer kit overall was good, but getting all the lme out of that foil pouch was a pain.

I have the all grain more beer and it is definitely missing the cara pils in tasty's recipe...
can i sub some flaked barley for the cara pils for head retention and mouthfeel? don't have any cara pils on hand..

I'm brewing this recipe this weekend. I cut down the bittering hops from 2 oz to 1 oz. I think it will still taste good.

For those that have brewed this, has anyone kegged it? I'm kegging mine and want to know if I still need to let it condition for longer than the 3 week fermenting time.

I kegged mine, I forget how long I let it sit in the keg before I tapped it, but like most beers it got better as the weeks passed by. I'd suggest giving it a few weeks once its kegged. Of course it won't be bad, just maybe not at peak taste.

Back