pump and quick disconnect bad combo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElevenBrewCo

Reaction score
I need help. Im beyond frustrated with my setup. Chugger pump toldme to get rid of my quick disconnects and get camlocks so i will do that. Where is a good place for my pump. On my set up the inlet is on the left and out on right. Is this a bad spot? Im just getting terribke flow, it trickles out unless im wrong and thats how its suppose to work

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

ForumRunner_20110316_181441.jpg

ForumRunner_20110316_181520.jpg

why not take the pump and mount it to the side of that middle vertical post, remove the ss head and turn it so the inlet is at the bottom and the outlet if pointing straight up.

-=Jason=-

What is the inside diameter of the QD's? IMO, it is best to use nothing less than 1/2" ID anywhere in the pump circuit. This includes any fittings and pickup tubes. Often the ID of a barb fitting will be substantially smaller than the nominal tubing size. This can make a huge difference in performance. It is also beneficial to keep the hoses as short as conveniently possible in order to minimize frictional losses. Many pickup tubes I've seen are only 3/8" OD and something like 1/4" ID. The cross sectional area of 1/2" tubing is about four times more than the cross sectional area of 1/4" tubing.

You can do a simple test and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. IIRC, your pump should be able to move something like 8 gpm under ideal conditions and near zero head. You can get that info from the pump specs. You should be able to pump at least 6 or 7 gpm for your test I would think.

why not take the pump and mount it to the side of that middle vertical post, remove the ss head and turn it so the inlet is at the bottom and the outlet if pointing straight up.

-=Jason=-

I doubt very much that this is the reason for the feeble flow rates. So long as the pump is getting properly primed, the orientation of the inlet/outlets will make little difference IME.

Flomaster said:

-=Jason=-

I cant rotate the ss head the screws wont mount up. Will this work?

ForumRunner_20110316_184408.jpg

Catt22 said:
What is the inside diameter of the QD's? IMO, it is best to use nothing less than 1/2" ID anywhere in the pump circuit. This includes any fittings and pickup tubes. Often the ID of a barb fitting will be substantially smaller than the nominal tubing size. This can make a huge difference in performance. It is also beneficial to keep the hoses as short as conveniently possible in order to minimize frictional losses. Many pickup tubes I've seen are only 3/8" OD and something like 1/4" ID. The cross sectional area of 1/2" tubing is about four times more than the cross sectional area of 1/4" tubing.

You can do a simple test and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. IIRC, your pump should be able to move something like 8 gpm under ideal conditions and near zero head. You can get that info from the pump specs. You should be able to pump at least 6 or 7 gpm for your test I would think.

My tubes are 1/2 id and 3/4 od. All 1/2 fittings

I take that back for the fittings they are definitely not 1/2 outlet. The pipe thread is but i cant remember what the actual qd size is.

My tubes are 1/2 id and 3/4 od. All 1/2 fittings

What is the actual ID of the fittings? Normally, 1/2" fittings do not have a full 1/2" inside diameter. That was kinda my main point. IOW, what is the ID of the actual barb, not the nominal size of the fitting. How about the pickup tubes in the converted kegs? Are they a full 1/2" ID. The actual ID is what counts, not the nominal fitting size. There's a big difference.

I take that back for the fittings they are definitely not 1/2 outlet. The pipe thread is but i cant remember what the actual qd size is.

That is likely your problem right there. Run the timed test as I suggested. It only takes a few minutes and it will reveal a lot.

Catt22 said:
That is likely your problem right there. Run the timed test as I suggested. It only takes a few minutes and it will reveal a lot.

They are 3/8 fittings along with my pick up tubes. So what about my 1/2 couplings and fittings then? Is there bigger fittings i can put on those?

I cant rotate the ss head the screws wont mount up. Will this work?

yes thats the orientation I was talking about

but yes you can rotate the ss head I have the same pump and I can rotate it 360 at 12 Oclock 3 o' Clock 6 o' clock and 9 o' clock.

so you mount your pump either to the bottom or side and you can remove the SS head and turn it in intervals of 90 degrees.

-=Jason=-

They are 3/8 fittings along with my pick up tubes. So what about my 1/2 couplings and fittings then? Is there bigger fittings i can put on those?

Sometimes you can use larger fittings and stretch the silicone tubing over them for a force fit. I've been through this a couple of times long ago and finally bit the bullet and went with 5/8" ID tubing. The barbs for the 5/8" tubing are close to a full 1/2" ID. I went from all 3/8" tubing and fittings to 1/2" tubing and fittings to finally buying all 5/8" tubing and fittings. Nothing quite as satisfying as buying everything three times. Hopefully you can avoid doing the same. IOW, I learned the hard way on this.:drunk:

I would run the test before making any changes and that will give you some idea of what you stand to gain by up-sizing the tubing and fittings.

Flomaster said:
yes thats the orientation I was talking about

but yes you can rotate the ss head I have the same pump and I can rotate it 360 at 12 Oclock 3 o' Clock 6 o' clock and 9 o' clock.

so you mount your pump either to the bottom or side and you can remove the SS head and turn it in intervals of 90 degrees.

-=Jason=-

What size fittings are you using?

Catt22 said:
Sometimes you can use larger fittings and stretch the silicone tubing over them for a force fit. I've been through this a couple of times long ago and finally bit the bullet and went with 5/8" ID tubing. The barbs for the 5/8" tubing are close to a full 1/2" ID. I went from all 3/8" tubing and fittings to 1/2" tubing and fittings to finally buying all 5/8" tubing and fittings. Nothing quite as satisfying as buying everything three times. Hopefully you can avoid doing the same. IOW, I learned the hard way on this.:drunk:

I would run the test before making any changes and that will give you some idea of what you stand to gain by up-sizing the tubing and fittings.

Bah its no where close. Guess il have to buy new fittings

I'm using a half inch silicone tubing half inch fittings and half inch cam locks

-= Jason =-

Barley made 3 gpm

That is a rather dysmal flow rate. Should be double that or more IMO. I suspect that the pickup tubes may be major restriction. Like I said, I've been there and I've been there more than once! When you get this resolved, which i am sure you will very soon, post back with how you made out.

Catt22 said:
That is a rather dysmal flow rate. Should be double that or more IMO. I suspect that the pickup tubes may be major restriction. Like I said, I've been there and I've been there more than once! When you get this resolved, which i am sure you will very soon, post back with how you made out.

Will do sir! Will head to lowes tomorrow anpick up some fittings.

Back