Wierd fermentation activity in secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I checked my beer today (Irish red ale from AHB) to make sure the temps were good and when I looked at it I noticed it had formed another kruesen in my secondary (5 gal carboy). I've never seen this before in any of my other brews (2) and was curious to know what would cause it to start fermenting again? When I transferred to my secondary there was little to no activity and I made sure not to aerate it while transferring. I'm not really getting any airlock activity but there is a definite ring of foam around the top of the carboy. I imagine everything is cool as I was very careful with my sanitization procedures I just thought it was odd. I think the yeast I got is really active as I had a kreusen in my primary about 2 hours after I pitched..maybe I just have a hearty bunch of little yeasties?

Dan

I got obsessed with some wierd activity in my secondary recently too. I have attached a picture I took of it from a previous post. I bottled the beer and I am happy to report it is excellent (as usual) and my worry was (as usual) unfounded. I think what this is is a temperature dependent activation of yeast taking their last gasp.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=18174

Some times the clearing tank is just a clearing tank. Some times it's a secondary and the ferment restarts. I think you'll be fine.

Back