Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have any pictures of the diptube assembly? Is it made from a stainless tube and fittings?
I am also going to be direct firing my mash. Do you think I should have some spacers built on the bottom?

Do you have any pictures of the diptube assembly? Is it made from a stainless tube and fittings?
I am also going to be direct firing my mash. Do you think I should have some spacers built on the bottom?

The diptube is copper and brass built to fit. If you are direct firing I would go w/ the 15" and no you dont need spacers, that is if your using a converted keg.
Jay

I am in the market to convert a keg into a mash/tun. I currently have a 10G cooler with false bottom.

What are peoples experience making this move and what do I need. You said that a 15" would fit, I didn't realize it was that big and does it have to be hinged and what is the purpose of the hinge, make it easier to get out??? I am thinking about the dip tube as well.

I am in the market to convert a keg into a mash/tun. I currently have a 10G cooler with false bottom.

What are peoples experience making this move and what do I need. You said that a 15" would fit, I didn't realize it was that big and does it have to be hinged and what is the purpose of the hinge, make it easier to get out??? I am thinking about the dip tube as well.

You don't have to use the 15", the 12" will work as well for the keg. You will see a better efficency w/ the 15" and you can direct heat without worring about scortching.
The hinge is so you don't have to cut the entire top off the keg to get it in or out, it lets you fold it to get it in the top of the keg.
Cheers
Jay

You don't have to use the 15", the 12" will work as well for the keg. You will see a better efficency w/ the 15" and you can direct heat without worring about scortching.
The hinge is so you don't have to cut the entire top off the keg to get it in or out, it lets you fold it to get it in the top of the keg.
Cheers
Jay

ahh, that sounds good, I am in the 82-86% range with my current setup. I don't know if I would want to increase that but the ability to direct heat would be nice.

Do you have any pictures of your dip tubes for a 15" hinge false bottom?

I'm looking at these and am a little confused. It looks like there is a gap between the keg wall and the edges of the false bottom. What stops the grain from getting down the edge along the keg wall and getting sucked up?

Currently using a cooler mash tun with false bottom but looking to convert as I just acquired a keg to convert.

Used this 19.25 in baby only once but it is a great quality

This went into a 44 gallon Rubbermaid barrel that we are using for a mash tun.

You can see more at

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/squam-lakes-brewery-pictures-144764/

100_1703.jpg

100_1705.jpg

Attachments

• 100_1701.jpg
    100_1701.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,081
ahh, that sounds good, I am in the 82-86% range with my current setup. I don't know if I would want to increase that but the ability to direct heat would be nice.

Do you have any pictures of your dip tubes for a 15" hinge false bottom?
I am working on some pictures I will PM a few of the people that have bought them and see if they can post up a picture or two

I'm looking at these and am a little confused. It looks like there is a gap between the keg wall and the edges of the false bottom. What stops the grain from getting down the edge along the keg wall and getting sucked up?
gravity and weight. The false bottom sits directly on the bottom of the keg very little grain gets by.

Currently using a cooler mash tun with false bottom but looking to convert as I just acquired a keg to convert.
The 15" is a great false bottom for the converted keg as you get great surface area.
Cheers
Jay

PM sent,

Also how would you hook up the dip tube to the coupler? a compression fitting? If so, anyone have a part number for mcmaster?

I am guessing 1/2" male NPT x ?? compression fitting

PM sent,

Also how would you hook up the dip tube to the coupler? a compression fitting? If so, anyone have a part number for mcmaster?

Depending on your coupler/fittings ... We're planning on using a Type 316 SS Yor-Lok Tube Fitting Adapter for 1/2" Tube OD X 1/2" NPT Male Pipe (Item #5182k135). And then just using some copper tubing as the dip tube. Some use stainless but we'll have a big roll of copper from our heat exchanger. Not sure if this fitting will work with Jay's dip tube assembly but I'm sure he'll chime in. Love the quality of the FB we got from him recently - sturdy is all I can say!

PM sent,

Yep a compression fitting works dandy. I have a pipe bender that bends a very tight 90* and I build them to fit your kettle. All I need is a few measurments from you.

Depending on your coupler/fittings ... We're planning on using a Type 316 SS Yor-Lok Tube Fitting Adapter for 1/2" Tube OD X 1/2" NPT Male Pipe (Item #5182k135). And then just using some copper tubing as the dip tube. Some use stainless but we'll have a big roll of copper from our heat exchanger. Not sure if this fitting will work with Jay's dip tube assembly but I'm sure he'll chime in. Love the quality of the FB we got from him recently - sturdy is all I can say!
you bet that fitting will work. I drill the hole in the false bottom to your spec. If you want a 1/2" of 5/8" or what ever you just let me know and I will drill it for you.
Cheers
Jay

I was thinking since the 15" puts a significant space between the grain bed and bottom of the keg, how does that effect mashing lower amounts for like a 5 gallon batch if a lot of the water is not in contact with the grain or is it not that much and I am crazy?

I was thinking since the 15" puts a significant space between the grain bed and bottom of the keg, how does that effect mashing lower amounts for like a 5 gallon batch if a lot of the water is not in contact with the grain or is it not that much and I am crazy?

Its not that much and you're crazy :D

Seriously though, there is very little volume under the 15" false bottom. My shoot from the hip gut feeling is that the volume is pretty close to optimal if you're recirculating wort or anything of that sort.

Got mine last week and finally tried her out last night. I have to admit I was struggling with the braid vs. FB. I though it would be more of a pain to clean underneath (having to dismantle it each time) and I was having struggles with the fitment of the drop tube that were due to my inexperience with plumbing not the product itself. The FB and drop tube are very well made. As others have stated many times, they are beefy. Very strong. No support needed.

I ordered the 15" hinged version (actually 2 as I want to see what it will do with pellet hops in my BK). I cut one of the dip tubes too short so I'll have to get with Jaybird and order another one of those. I got the other one to fit right and tightened it down.

I love the difference with the FB while stirring the mash. No more worry about snagging the braid and kinking or ripping it loose. After the mash cam time to vorlauf. I have recently started doing a batch/fly sparge. I heat the sparge water up to 195 and add 2.5 gallons at the end of the mash and stir well for about 3-4 minutes. Then I recirculate until it runs clear.

It did seem to take 3 times as long to run clear but I did crush at a higher speed this time. Not sure if that matters or not, just sayin. O recirculated for about 15 minutes then transferred to the BK while fly sparging. I transferred faster due to the 15 minute recirculation time and was done in about 30 minutes.

When all was said and done my efficiency ended up at 87% according to Beer Tools Pro. I usually end up at around 80 on average.

Clean up was a breeze. Just loosen the flange nut, once free it spins off by hand. Remove the FB and clean away. It was also very nice not having to clean around the braid.

I am now a new convert on the Jaybird SS False Bottom! Thanks a lot for all of your help Jay.

Here it is installed:

and this is all that was left underneath when I removed it. Mostly all liquid and not grain:

All clean underneath

A closer shot sitting up on top of the MT after cleaning.

Oh I am so glad you figured it out man. I was worried there for a bit. Ya know, I want you all to be happy w/ your purchase.
Happy Thanksgiving all
Cheers
Jay

Does this look like it would work for the compression fitting to connect the dip tube to a female NPT?

52245K539L.GIF

Is there a better way to connect the dip tube?

The material was held up at the fab shop (issues w/ their CNC plasma )but I have it in my hands now and all cut. I will have everything ready and shipped Monday.
you all will see them before Christmas.
Thanks for the patience.
Jay

Just another plug for the stability of these false bottoms. Scott and I made a Maharaja clone last night with 37 pounds of grain. Here is a picture of the Mash and the spent grains. FB held up perfect and did a great job. We ended up at only 76% efficiency but that was our fault not the FB (didn't crush as tight as we usually do).

Back