Help me spend my tax refund!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the part of brewing you like the least

The fact that it takes me 2 hours to chill and 3 bags of ice. And that I always get semi-off flavors from fermenting too high forcing me to age my beer longer.

And also that temp control doing partials when I don't have access to an oven is a *****.

And also that I always come up below volume, even when diluting my partial boils.

get an immersion chiller. specially if you are inside. The 50' one from AHS comes with a kitchen faucet adapter. Just turn your kitchen sink on and it sends cold water through then back to your sink and down the drain.

I love my immersion chiller.

I have to stress the 50' if you go that route.
I bought a small pond pump and pumped ice water through my 25'. It still sucked in the summer

The fact that it takes me 2 hours to chill and 3 bags of ice. And that I always get semi-off flavors from fermenting too high forcing me to age my beer longer.

And also that temp control doing partials when I don't have access to an oven is a *****.

I'd say buy a 50' IC and either a chest freezer or at least build a SonOfFermentation Cabinet.

Please explain the lack of access to an oven.
I've never found temp control to be all that important on my PMs. I've found I only need about 30 minutes of semi-consistent temps to get the desired result.

Please explain the lack of access to an oven.

Group brewdays when we're all out in a garage. I get readings all over the place. With an oven I'm able to regulate the temp fairly well.

I'm also thinking a digital instant-read thermometer might be an improvement over the analog meat thermometer. For cooking as well as brewing.

well I'm off all. Trudging out to the ice storm. Everyone be safe getting home if it's bad out. To all you nice weather people, Well, don't die, but don't roll your windows down either! it's just not fair.

well I'm off all. Trudging out to the ice storm. Everyone be safe getting home if it's bad out. To all you nice weather people, Well, don't die, but don't roll your windows down either! it's just not fair.
Bunch of snow headed our way tonight. I am so looking forward to spending all day at home tomorrow with my kids while trying to work.:(

I want to build a MAME arcade game (MAME is an arcade game emulator for pc) with a kegerator inside. Then also install a TV tuner to the PC inside.

It would be perfect for apartments. beer, tv, computer, arcade game, DVD player, and jukebox all in one.

I already built a MAME cabinet, but it does not have a kegerator in it.

I love MAME....Video games for us old folks... Zaxxon, Donkey Kong, Punch Out, Gorf...ah those were the days when coin op games were still $.25. FWIW I bought a 5/10 split from B3 and it is kick ass. It is a C note but I think it is worth it.

I want to build a MAME arcade game (MAME is an arcade game emulator for pc) with a kegerator inside. Then also install a TV tuner to the PC inside.

It would be perfect for apartments. beer, tv, computer, arcade game, DVD player, and jukebox all in one.

I already built a MAME cabinet, but it does not have a kegerator in it.

There's more than enough room to add one, as most of the space inside there is empty :) . If you're running a newer display it's practically empty.

Where would you put the taps? This is a beautiful idea.

Build a CFC, then some more carboys. You won't want use those 5 Gallon buckets if you're doing 5 gallons batches. Buy either 6G Better Bottles, 6.5G Glass Carboys, or 6-7G Ale Pails.

Please tell me where I can find one of those. I killed my old one and want one in the worst way

The only factory that was making them had closed but I have heard that another one has opened. I think my LHBS has actually got a couple in.

Where would you put the taps? This is a beautiful idea.

Right above the cupholders of course. So would you pinkboard the whole inside of the cabinet and tear the door off a mini-fridge to keep it cool? Cobra tap just inside the coin door would be pretty easy. Alternatively, converting a full size kegerator into a Mame cabinet might be easier than the other way around. Mount an lcd screen and screw in the combo control panel/drip tray under the taps. :rockin:

-OCD

The refund ended up being $300 less than I anticipated. After paying off the credit card and TV it was pretty much gone.

Saw a $30 turkey fryer down at a liquidation warehouse though, thinking about buying it. I figure next month I'll order some copper tubing and build my chiller.

What have I bought so far today with my tax refund.

4 ball lock kegs
Air line

2 Ranco controllers for keezer and fermentation fridge

Barley Crusher
2 Perlicks/shanks/etc
Secondary regulator
4 way manifold
Big jug of star san

4 HBT Glasses

What's left to buy

Chest freezer
Coleman cooler and fittings to make bigger MLT
Propane tank
another sq-14 burner

The assignment is to advise me on how best to spend the remainder of my tax refund:cross: GO!

Hey, very nice thread!
My suggestions are:

- a chiller, definitly (I suggest immersion, you can save something buying the copper tube and wrapping it up on a pot. You will need some tube and clamps to connect it to the water (40$);

- I see you don't have a grain crusher and you have a grain bag, so I suppose you make extract + grains. I suggest you go all grain: it's not that hard, it's fun and it will save you money (so it's a investment). You'll need the crusher (150$ on AHB but here in Italy there are some around 60$), maybe a bucket, a digital thermometer (maybe the meat thermometer is ok too) and the lauter bin (60$);

- an old fridge (0$ find someone that giving it away), a temperature control system (I paid mine about 100$), some thermical insulator and build your fermentation chamber (70$).

so: chiller (40), crusher (100), lauter bin (60), tempcontrol (100), fermchamber (70): 370$.

EDIT: I just saw your budjet is 100$ so I suggest for the chiller and some supply. The suggestions remain anyway ;)

Enjoy :mug:
Piteko

so: chiller (40), crusher (100), lauter bin (60), tempcontrol (100), fermchamber (70): 370$.

zombie_thread.jpg

Thanks for the advice, piteko, but I started this thread almost 2 years ago. I've got all those things now, except the crusher.

Thanks for the advice, piteko, but I started this thread almost 2 years ago. I've got all those things now, except the crusher.

Hahaha! Sorry, I must came here sorting in a strange way the threads in the General Techniques (maybe by replies)... Today I'm a bit :ban:
:D Piteko

Back