Beer is only drunk by losers and sadsacks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragutis

Reaction score
From an article about wine.

Malcolm Gluck: Join the wine revolution | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

Malcolm Gluck said:
It is no surprise to me that we Brits continue to guzzle shedloads of wine. Our per capita annual consumption may be about half that of France, which leads the field, but GB ignores such things as credit crunches and market downturns because we are wedded to booze.

This used to be beer. 50 years ago only 5% of the nation drank wine. Now it is nearer six times that, pubs struggle to sell beer, and the amount of wine imported keep on rising. Why? Well, beer is only drunk by losers and sadsacks, unsexy people who care nothing for their minds or their bodies.

That's point one. Point two is that wine goes with the spicy foods we like (which no beer does), is much more of a communal activity and, when it comes down to it, encourages livelier and more intelligent conversation. When was the last time you heard a beer drinker pass a witty remark? Beer drinkers are also terrible lovers, awful husbands, and untidy flatmates.

Wine is the supercool liquid and drunk sensibly is actually good for you. It's a health drink. Wine has changed from the dry-as-dust, unpronounceable gunge it was in our grandparents' day. Wine in New Labour Land is vivacious, fruity, inexpensive, and it's fun. Small wonder wine drinkers prefer Australia, California, South Africa and Chile to France and Germany.

The wines from these countries speak our language (yes, even Chilean labels don't say Chateau Lamazelle de Figeac Brown Cantenac Lafite), they are open and furiously fruity, gluggable and yet serious, and they are not expensive.

When I became a professional booze hack exactly 20 years ago the French share of the UK market was around 37%. Now it's a bit over 21%. Back in those days, the days of awful Tory governments, the Aussie share of the UK market was less than half of one percent. Now the Aussie share is 23% and even the Californians' share of the market, by value, is greater than France's.

It is a wine revolution and every time you drop in on a bar and enjoy a glass of Chilean cabernet sauvignon or acquire a bottle of succulent Australian shiraz from your local supermarket you are being a revolutionary. And as dear old Che used to say, Viva la revolucion!

I enjoyed the response found here.

Roger Protz: A reply to Malcolm Gluck - let's hear it for beer | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

Roger Protz said:
I'm sure wine writer Oz Clarke, currently trumpeting the appeal of British beer on BBC2, will be pleased to hear from Malcolm Gluck that he's a sad and unsexy loser who lacks a sense of humour. What Oz's series reveals is that beer is flourishing in Britain and is not being drowned by a flood of imported grape juice.

I don't deny that sales of wine have increased in Britain. But we still drink far more beer: wine has overtaken beer in the off-trade but beer easily outsells it in pubs, in spite of the best efforts of Gluck's much-loved Labour government to knacker the pub trade with the smoking ban and regular hikes in beer duty.

Beer is in fact enjoying a remarkable renaissance. I'm talking of craft beer, quality beer, brewed by craftsmen, not the bland and tasteless Euro-fizz produced by global brewers. Close to 250 new craft breweries have opened in the past three years. There are more than 500 breweries operating in Britain and choice and diversity have never been better. Thanks to the efforts of craft brewers, drinkers have a profusion of choice, with good old mild and bitter joined by genuine India Pale Ales, porters, stouts, old ales and barley wines and new styles such as golden ales and fruit beers.

While sales of mass-produced lagers are in freefall, the demand for craft beers has seen their sales rise by more than 10% a year. This should be welcomed, not decried with the kind of mindless abuse used by Malcolm Gluck. Britain is a country with a proud brewing heritage, a heritage now enjoying a spirited revival. I'm sorry to disappoint you, Malcolm, but beer will not go away. Have a word with your mate Oz.

· Roger Protz edits the Camra Good Beer Guide and blogs at beer-pages.com

damn what an A$$hat. I hate people like him, on both sides of the pond and arguement. I know some that like wine, good for them. my wife and I really tried but our taste buds prefer beer to wine, except very fruity whites. Both are good in their own way and I always will give a wine a try, as maybe there is one out there for me I just have not found, kinda like my SWMBO who didn't like beer until she tried a porter, and is now a dark brew junkie.

This kinda like the skier vs snowboarder thing I guess, some just like to have rivalries, me I ski, used to snowboard, but like mogul skiing more, I prefer moountains that allow both, but keep snowboarders away from moguls, as they destroy them, but want to go to a place that lets me do runs wih my snowboarding buds. Anyway living in desert now so rarely do either, just home brew, oc pc's and wrench the mc.

This guy is an absolute uneducated, snobby *****epole.

(Beer drinkers like myself aren't witty or sophisticated, so we make up things like *****eple).

That's why I can't understand why there are so many liberals flopping around this site. Shouldn't they be off enjoying witty conversation whilst sipping trendy wines in their latest-fashion clothes and thick-rimmed glasses? I'll drink beer in their place.

That's why I can't understand why there are so many liberals flopping around this site. Shouldn't they be off enjoying witty conversation whilst sipping trendy wines in their latest-fashion clothes and thick-rimmed glasses? I'll drink beer in their place.

flopping around? did you just compare liberals to fish? does that make them christians?

i'm so confused... :confused:

"Point two is that wine goes with the spicy foods we like (which no beer does), is much more of a
communal activity and, when it comes down to it, encourages livelier and more intelligent conversation.
When was the last time you heard a beer drinker pass a witty remark? Beer drinkers are also terrible
lovers, awful husbands, and untidy flatmates.
"

I couldn't believe he was being serious - I really thought it was sarcasm.

What a complete moron.

Edit - God I hate generalizations and people's ****ty world-ruining bias towards hate and destruction.
When you can't enjoy yourself, cut down your neighbor and stand tall!

Conservatives are much more floppy. They just sit around counting the money they stole from hard working people and jerkin' themselves. They pay other jerks to exercise for them don't they? ;)

They are the only ones who can afford wine anyway, unless yer talkin' wild irish rose or MD.

Are thriftstore clothes and the cheapest frames available (i.e. thick ugly plastic rims) all the rage? Wow, I am trendy for once! As to witty conversation, well, hell, I talk with you f*ckers don't I? I ain't too witty.

I don't flop anywhere, I don't care for wine, I wear crummy clothes, mostly flannels, and I have great eyesight.

Sometimes these types troll for keyboard fights. I find it best to ignore them I don't value their opinion so what do I care what they think.

I can't imagine this was anything other than an attempt to get replies such as the one we are engaged in... Media troll.

I don't flop anywhere, I don't care for wine, I wear crummy clothes, mostly flannels, and I have great eyesight.

not thick lenses, thick frames. you know the plastic frames that are black and really squarish. those are the ones im talking about.

and to clarify, there are two types of liberals. the witty-conversation, trendy, I love BO because it's cool type, and the why should i go to work when the government will take care of me type. i was suggesting the former, of which the author of the article posted seems to be a member of, are the wine-drinking type.

and it was a joke.

and it's common for that group to stereotype conservatives as gun-toting uncouth rednecks.

and to clarify, there are two types of liberals. the witty-conversation, trendy, I love BO because it's cool type, and the why should i go to work when the government will take care of me type. i was suggesting the former, of which the author of the article posted seems to be a member of, are the wine-drinking type.
i think you missed a few. what about the rich, excentric, bleeding-heart, "people listen to me but i have no experience" type?

oh, and the militant liberals...ya know, peace at all costs, hug the bunnies, kill the non-vegans.

and it's common for that group to stereotype conservatives as gun-toting uncouth rednecks.
i'm assuming that's what you are?

in any case, i like definitions better.

liberal:
- broad: showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant ...
- having political or social views favoring reform and progress
tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition
- a person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties
- big: given or giving freely; "was a big tipper"; "the bounteous goodness of God"; "bountiful compliments"; "a freehanded host"; "a handsome allowance"; "Saturday's child is loving and giving"; "a liberal backer of the arts"; "a munificent gift"; "her fond and openhanded grandfather"

conservative:
- resistant to change
- having social or political views favoring conservatism
- cautious: avoiding excess; "a conservative estimate"
- a person who is reluctant to accept changes and new ideas
- button-down: unimaginatively conventional
- bourgeois: conforming to the standards and conventions of the middle class; "a bourgeois mentality"

what is this doing in a beer thread, anyway?

not thick lenses, thick frames. you know the plastic frames that are black and really squarish. those are the ones im talking about.

That's me.

and to clarify, there are two types of liberals. the witty-conversation, trendy, I love BO because it's cool type, and the why should i go to work when the government will take care of me type.

Both of those descriptions sound like slacker "I have no care one way or the other... please step on me and take away all my rights." type people. Exactly the type of apathetic people conservatives count on so they can continue their own apathetic (towards humanity in general) selfish goals. Sorry, but that ain't me.

i forgot to mention the second type are BMC lovers. that's important, can't believe i forgot that!

BMC is pretty defended staunchly by those afraid of change and protective of good ole' 'Mercan values ain't it?

i.e. CONSERVATIVE!

I was, of course, wrong, as all conservatives are like to be, and do apologize sincerely to any left-leaning member of this forum who might have been offended.

Now, let's get back to talking about beer! I'll send any offended party a bottle of His Royal Grace's Most Excellent and Nutty Brown Ale when it's ready.

ps. Maybe I'll limit that to the first five responders!:)

I was, of course, wrong, as all conservatives are like to be, and do apologize sincerely to any left-leaning member of this forum who might have been offended.

Now, let's get back to talking about beer! I'll send any offended party a bottle of His Royal Grace's Most Excellent and Nutty Brown Ale when it's ready.

Now I'm definitely offended. :D

you admitted you were wrong! how very un-conservative of you! you are breaking all traditional practices!

:p

sorry for all the badgering, but don't you know making fun of stereotypes is only funny when it's done by a short, fat, balding guy?

Funny I "started" my liver crusade on hard liquor. Scotch, then eventually I left the peatmoss for bourbon (I know most go the other way). Eventually I gained a taste for sweet red wines and then eventually drier whites and reds.

When I turned 25 I really tried to take up beer drinking, but being from a small midwest town that meant BMCs or bust. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Three years later a buddy accident left a 12 pack of Boston Lager in my fridge. One night I ran out of diet mountain dew and really wanted something other than water to drink, since I live 9 miles from town, the SA got called up to the big leagues. The first two went down rather harsh and I didn't try another for a couple weeks. Then one night for whatever reason I was craving that bitter taste (granted it's not that bitter, but for a non beer drinker it was).

Since that night I have rarely touched bourbon or wine. Sure I have a couple screw drivers on the opening day of deer season after the morning hunt. I will also sometimes have a glass of wine if the moment is right.

With all that said, I like to think that my taste buds have matured and evolved to the REAL alcoholic beverage of choice...BEER.

Either that or I just have a drinking problem.

Malcolm Gluck said:
..It is a wine revolution and every time you drop in on a bar and enjoy a glass of Chilean cabernet sauvignon or acquire a bottle of succulent Australian shiraz from your local supermarket you are being a revolutionary. And as dear old Che used to say, Viva la revolucion!

As Hank Hill would say, "Viva La...I'm going to kick your ass!"

cockpunch.jpg

As an ex-winester, I stopped drinking the stuff because it was boring. The differences between good wines of a specific varietal are so small as to be meaningless. Except price of course. Regardless of actual price, if you tell a wino a bottle costs more, they rate it higher. I'll never forget the time a wino told me what a great Pinot I had brought to a party ...

a bottle of my blackberry cider, it was.

As an ex-winester, I stopped drinking the stuff because it was boring.

I developed an allergy to wine. If I drink one glass I become instantly drunk followed immediatly by violently ill. I can drink beer, gin, rum or whisky without any ill effects, but wine is out for me.
I've been told it's the sulfides or tannins in the wine that I have the problem with. I did drink some homemade muscadine wine that didn't cause any problems.

Feels good to be a punk loser. :D

I personally prefer "*****ewater" as an insult to hurl at an imbecile like that... And to be fair, I'm pretty sure he speaks for a very small minority of our UK friends. Every UK pub I've been has shown a vast majority of people drinking beer! And they have some fine beers on tap over there!

Well, to be fair, I am mostly just being an angry and belligerent (LIBERAL) drunk. ;)

Cause I likes ta beer. a lot.

:drunk:

time for another round!

:tank:

Beer comes on tap, in bottles,cans, you can drink it from a glass a mug, pitcher, you can buy it in 6 packs a case a flat or 40 oz 32 0z 24 0z bottles sometimes it comes in a crock jug quite often its found Kegs big and small. You can shot gun a beer or nitro it, drink it from a funnel or a boot. Im sure there a a million other things about beer that i forgot to mention. now what as that about wine again ?
Oh yeah and its carbonated and some types come with a prize inside known as a widget.

Latest posts

Back