does this look like a decent starter brew kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
i have never brewed before but i have been reading up on it for a little while now and want to get started brewing my own beer, but im having a hard time deciding where to buy my brewing kit, i found one here that looks like a pretty decent one at a decent price, what do you guys think?
Product Listing -
if i order this one i will probably pay the additional $8 to add in an auto-siphon as ive read it makes it much easier. but does this look like a decent started kit to you guys? or do you have any suggestions of a better kit from anywhere?
thanx for the help!

oh, and im looking for a basic, cheap starter kit, ive read the Mr. Beer is good but i want something that will brew 5 gal or more at a time

The pictures and item descriptions don't match up when I look at them. If you get this kit make sure it's got a bottle capper and bottle caps and not corks, unless you want to cork the beer. Also, just a few personal preferences - get an autosiphon instead of the plain racking cane and a 3 piece airlock will probably be better than the 2 piece (S curve) air lock. Search around some more too on the forums and if you have a local homebrew shop (LHBS) check with them too, they usually have somebody who can talk you through buying a kit.

It looks like your basis kit at about the same price as most places. You have a nice brew shop in Lincoln; have you checked it out? Kirk's probably has a very similar kit and can help you with questions. Also, he may let you substitute (upgrade) items like the auto siphon.

Welcome to HBT!

It looks like your basis kit at about the same price as most places. You have a nice brew shop in Lincoln; have you checked it out? Kirk's probably has a very similar kit and can help you with questions. Also, he may let you substitute (upgrade) items like the auto siphon.

Welcome to HBT!

i have never been to kirks but i drive by it every single day and have always thought about going there but never really have the time because im working and then i forget to go when im not working...wow ur from omaha i didnt really expect to find anyone from around my area on here lol

just get your buckets (Assuming you go that way) with spigots... never need a racking cane, or an auto siphon. i have yet to use my siphon, or my bottle filler for that matter.

you do need 3/8" tubing and a ss clamp to hold the hose on the spigot...

just get your buckets (Assuming you go that way) with spigots... never need a racking cane, or an auto siphon. i have yet to use my siphon, or my bottle filler for that matter.

you do need 3/8" tubing and a ss clamp to hold the hose on the spigot...

I'm sorry but that is terrible advice. Why would you risk your time and beer by not using the right tool for the job? Yes, you can McGyver lots of things but for the cost of a siphon and bottle filler, why would you?

I'm sorry but that is terrible advice. Why would you risk your time and beer by not using the right tool for the job? Yes, you can McGyver lots of things but for the cost of a siphon and bottle filler, why would you?

Agreed. Those spigots are an invitation for an infection.

I'll repeat the love for Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewer. I've used both and been real happy with cost and shipping.

Welcome to HBT!

That is the best advice I think. Create a relationship with your local shop. Then if you have questions they are much more likely to take time to help you out. Plus you are supporting a local.

Consider the book The Joy of Homebrewing. It is easy to read, and a great place to start.

Luck

FWIW i have BOTH.

excuse me?

i see nothing wrong.

i primary for 3 week weeks in A/P, then straight to bottling bucket, then bottles for.... who knows. depends on brew.

no racking cane needed, trub is under the spigot. no bottle filler needed, im using the bottle bucket spigot to fill bottles.

please spain where i steered the OP wrong? (no, really, not being an ass, im a newb...)

i have three buckets (ale pales) with spigots. two are fermentors, one is dedicated bottling bucket. i have no issues, and judging from posts here, i spend 1/3 of the time bottling some others seem to...

Back