Dead/slow starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Hi all- tried my first starter batch last night and after 12 hours, there's no sign of any activity. I can see some sediment at the bottom of the growler, but there aren't any bubbles or surface activity (i.e. bubbles). The other threads on starters have suggested lots of activity as soon as 5 hours after pitching the yeast. Am I just being too impatient?

FWIW, I used White Labs yeast that was a week past it's 'best by' date, but I did make sure the DME solution was cooled and aerated it in the grower.

Thanks!

Sometimes starters don't show much activity at all. If you have more yeast sediment on the bottom than you started with, then the starter has worked. But with your vial being a little old, you shouldn't be too surprised if it takes a while for the yeast to get going...I'd keep shaking that sucker once an hour and wait another twelve at least to see if it doesn't wake up a bit.

Give it a couple of swirls. Does it foam up? If so then it's ready.

The lack of any visual activity could be due to the temp of the jug you're using. I use a growler and place it on my gas stove right near the pilot light to keep it on the warm side. I do the same for my meads in the primary because it stays at 72F.

Good to know - i'm keeping it on the main floor of my house (instead of the cooler basement) to keep the temp up, but I'll give it a few swirls & shakes to give it a little kickstart.

FWIW, the White Labs vial fizzed up very vigorously when I opened after shaking. I took that as a good sign.

Well it's looking better - about a 1/8th inch layer of foam on top, and swirling the jug gets quite a bit of gas through the lock. Looks like I just had a slow starter.

Maestro Brewsmith said:
Ok, I just read your sig. I'm guessing the Wee Heavy. :D
I just went to your pics...the one of you playing the tuba. You must be a hit with the neighbors when you've had a few too many HBs and you want to rock out late at night with Uncle Ted's Cat Scratch Fever....:drunk: (what I'm currently listening to...)

It doesn't get played much at home, although I do have an orchestra concert tonight. I play in a community orchestra near my work. A friend of mine from college is the director.

I just plug into my 100 watt amp and pick up any of my guitars and rock out as long as my ears can stand it...:rockin: I've asked the neighbors if they ever heard me and they're always saying they can't so that's a GO Houston!

Maestro Brewsmith said:
Ok, I just read your sig. I'm guessing the Wee Heavy. :D

Not to bring the thread back on point :D , but it's a tribute to the Wee Heavy from Mickey Finn's up in Libertyville, IL. They serve theirs in big glass goblets, and by all rights it should come with a cab ride home included :cross:

The bubbles start anywhere from 2 hours to three days. If you make a starter, the fermentation starts faster.

homebrewer_99 said:
I just plug into my 100 watt amp and pick up any of my guitars and rock out as long as my ears can stand it...:rockin: I've asked the neighbors if they ever heard me and they're always saying they can't so that's a GO Houston!
What guitars do you have?

Maestro Brewsmith said:
What guitars do you have?
Fenders mostly

Guitars:
Fender Telecaster Deluxe (US) (Natural Ash) (1976)
Fender Stratocaster w/ Floyd Rose (Mexican) (Black/Black) (1999)
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican) (White/Midnight Wine) (2001)
Fender Stratocaster Squire (Chinese) (Red Tortoise/Black) (2000)
Kaman Matrix Electric/Acoustic (US) (Sunburst) (1981)
Dean Markley Piece o'Crap (Black) (Just waiting for the moment to smash it) (199?)

Amps:
Fender Princeton Reverb (1976)
Line 6 Vetta Combo (2002)
Line 6 Vetta Combo FBV Longboard (2003)
Pignose Hog 20 Amp (1999)
Another small 10 watt Amp for the road

Pedals:
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (2001)
Digitech RP-300 Multi-effects (2002)
Electra Metal Max (608HM) (2003)
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Deluxe (1970s)
Electro-Harmonix Linear Line Booster (1970s)
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter EH4800 (1970s)
Ibanez GE10 Graphic Equalizer (1980s - for the acoustic)
MXR Distortion + (1970s)
MXR Noise Gate Line Driver (1970s)

Trash:
Matrix Quartz Tuner - SR-1000 (2 each)
Exacto Quartz Metronome
Headphones (w/1/8” jack and ¼” adapter)
Several guitar stands
Assorted cables (working and not working), capos, picks, etc.

The Chinese Strat (this one's my beater) plays better than the Mexi's after I upgraded the pickups. I originally bought it to take to Kosovo and the sand box. I bought the Kaman acoustic (they own Ovation) just for the acoustic part in Aqualung during the last time I was in a band.

Just to close this out, I had decent activity in the starter after 24 hours and by the time I was ready to pitch. Just 12 hours later, and the primary is chugging along like a steam train. All's well that ale's well.

homebrewer_99 said:
Fenders mostly

Guitars:
Fender Telecaster Deluxe (US) (Natural Ash) (1976)
Fender Stratocaster w/ Floyd Rose (Mexican) (Black/Black) (1999)
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican) (White/Midnight Wine) (2001)
Fender Stratocaster Squire (Chinese) (Red Tortoise/Black) (2000)
Kaman Matrix Electric/Acoustic (US) (Sunburst) (1981)
Dean Markley Piece o'Crap (Black) (Just waiting for the moment to smash it) (199?)

Amps:
Fender Princeton Reverb (1976)
Line 6 Vetta Combo (2002)
Line 6 Vetta Combo FBV Longboard (2003)
Pignose Hog 20 Amp (1999)
Another small 10 watt Amp for the road

Pedals:
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (2001)
Digitech RP-300 Multi-effects (2002)
Electra Metal Max (608HM) (2003)
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Deluxe (1970s)
Electro-Harmonix Linear Line Booster (1970s)
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter EH4800 (1970s)
Ibanez GE10 Graphic Equalizer (1980s - for the acoustic)
MXR Distortion + (1970s)
MXR Noise Gate Line Driver (1970s)

Trash:
Matrix Quartz Tuner - SR-1000 (2 each)
Exacto Quartz Metronome
Headphones (w/1/8” jack and ¼” adapter)
Several guitar stands
Assorted cables (working and not working), capos, picks, etc.

The Chinese Strat (this one's my beater) plays better than the Mexi's after I upgraded the pickups. I originally bought it to take to Kosovo and the sand box. I bought the Kaman acoustic (they own Ovation) just for the acoustic part in Aqualung during the last time I was in a band.
Sweet. That one tele is older than I am! I've got a 02? Fender American Strat that has the natural ash finish. I love it. It replaced a very similar one that was stolen. :mad: And the wood grain on that one was so much better...
I also have a 99 fender American Jazz Bass V and an 04 mexican fretless jazz bass. You've seen the tuba. It's an early 80's Mirafone 186 CC tuba. I also own a Yamaha acoustic guitar, a trombone, a trumpet, an Ovation mandolin, and, :p an accordion. Then there's the computer, software, and synthesizers...

Back