Danstar Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
I was browsing Danstar's website and came across this:

munich.jpg

source

It has not yet been released, I emailed the contact and here is the response:

"
Thanks very much for your inquiry. We have not yet "officially"
announced the availability of this yeast but will be doing so in the
coming week or so. I am compiling a list of those interest in the yeast
and will let you know as soon as it is available in the retail
community. Thanks very much for thinking of Danstar products, and I hope
we can get some Munich in your hands asap!

Keith Lemcke

Sales & Marketing
Danstar & Lalvin Dry Yeast
Guaranteed Performance."

My LHBS has it on hand. I posted a week or two ago here asking about it and I did not get one single reply. It's damn new and no one here has tried it I guess. I will give it a shot though. :tank:

Fermentis (S I Lesaffre) and Danstar (Lallemand) are two totally different companies and to the best of my knowledge not related in any way. I am not sure it is the same yeast or process as the WB-06, which is why I am a little excited to check it out. I have been very happy with my personal experiences with both Nottingham and Windsor, I am a bit hopeful (yet still reserved) about this yeast.

It's interesting that your LHBS carries it, according to this guy they have not yet released it...must have connections :D

After comparing notes on the two, I am thinking these are different strains. WB-06 is listed as having 'high' final gravity (i.e. poor attenuator) whereas the Munich is listed as having medium to high attenuation (i.e. good attenuator) so these sound like they may not be the same.

After comparing notes on the two, I am thinking these are different strains. WB-06 is listed as having 'high' final gravity (i.e. poor attenuator) whereas the Munich is listed as having medium to high attenuation (i.e. good attenuator) so these sound like they may not be the same.

No one said that they were the same. Think Big Mac vs Whopper..

I stop into my LHBS one or twice a week just to see if they have any new hops I'm looking for and I seen a box of that yeast. I may stop by there tonight on the way home from the gym and get some of it to try. I have some of the WB-06 that I will try also. Maybe a 10 gal wheat batch split into 5 gal and use both yeast. :D

Update:

"Retailers for Munich Wheat Beer Dry Yeast as of May, 2008:

The Flying Barrel
Frederick
Maryland
301-663-4491
[email protected]
www.flyingbarrel.com

Cedarburg Homebrew and Wine
Cedarburg, WI 53012
262-377-1838
[email protected]
www.thecheesemaker.com.

Bacchus & Barleycorn, Ltd
Shawnee
Kansas
913-962-2501
[email protected]
www.bacchus-barleycorn.com

Strange Brew Beer and Winemaking Supplies
Marlborough
Massachusetts
[email protected]
1-888-BREWING
www.Home-Brew.com

Red Barn Winemaker Supplies
DeMotte
Indiana
219-987-WINE
www.redbarnwinemakersupplies.com

Windy Hill Wine Making
Meadville
Pennsylvania
814-337-6871
[email protected]
www.windyhillwine.com

The Grape Gallery
10J Main Boulevard
Sherwood Park
Alberta
780-449-4982
[email protected]

"
None of the sites to date have the product listed. And some don't even have online shopping :D

Back