My first attempt & need advice if i could

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipbr21054

Reaction score
Making 32pints of cider & i started on sunday.
I did not know i had to take the first sg reading but i took a sample of it on Tuesday where the SG read 1020.
I have just taken another SG now & it is 1004.
I have noticed that on monday/tuesday it showed plenty of bubbles rising to the surface with very little scum etc but now there are no where near as many bubles & froth/scum etc i would say has dissapeared,so i assume it is nearly completed as the instructions show 998 or less but would like advise.
There is also a white/cream layer of ????? at the bottom of the bin.

After i have transfered my cider from the bin to the pressure barrell complete with 80g of sugar how long should i leave it in the same warm room for ? before i put it in a cool place like the garage ?

Also i have bought the co2 holder & bulbs but not sure on the following,
1,Do i fit them after filling the pressure barrell and leaving in the same warm room.
2,Do i only fit them when the barrell is moved to the cool place.
3,Do i fit them after pouring & drinking say 5 pimts.

Please advise on the few qeustions above as sunday is nearly upon us & dont wish to mess up the first batch.

Thanks a lot & nice site.

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, I do not understand your question.

I'll take a stab though...carbonation can occur within about a week, but this is highly dependent on your yeast strain and temperature. Keep it warm for at least two weeks and then check.

Basically if i follow the instructions the brew in the bin will be finished 7 - 10 days after i started being this sunday 27th / wednesday 30th.

I am not sure if i need to put in the pressure barrell say sunday or leave it until wednesday etc.

I will take SG readings each day now and make a log,am i correct in thinking that when the SG is lower than 998 & then constant from there on i can then move it to the pressure barrell.

The qustions about the co2 injector system was at what time/stage do i fit it to the cap on the pressure barrell ?

Thanks

OK, sorry, but I too did not understand all of your questions. But the one I got was about your FG (final gravity) When your gravity readings are constant for a week or more, then fermentation is complete. At that point you can bottle, or keg, or whatever you want to do with it.

I don't keg, so I can't answer your other questions.

Hi,this cider has now been sat in my cool garage for 2 weeks.
I thought i would give it a little taste today.
When i poured a sample there is a nice amount of fizz if the tap is opened to much but this settles in no time when in the glass.
The cider is very clear and looks great.
Taste is not much to write about,i mean it is like drinking a very diluted cider.
Say 1/2 pint of cider in a glass topped up with water.
Not much else to say realy but i was expecting it to be a lot better than what i have sampled so far.

It is in the seconday barrell now and wondering if i can do anything to improve its taste as i can see this will not be consumed as it is.
It has been sat in the garage for 2 weeks maybe its not time for a sample yet or did i forget something.

Thanks again.

2 weeks might not have been enough time to ferment out the priming sugar you added to your pressure barrel.

Your cider is probably very dry, like white wine perhaps? Some people sweeten theirs with artificial sweeteners, like Splenda, but I haven't heard many people actually say that it tastes good.

Your cider probably just needs some more aging.

Back