Supply Cord Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcbandl

Reaction score
I am getting all the pieces to put together a rims controller and am trying to find a power supply cord. I am trying to do things the right way but am a bit confused.

I will be running a 2000W 120V element and a chugger pump off the controller. the element should draw 16.5 amps and the pump another 1.5.

Now looking for a power cord. I am either going to use an extension cord or piece together bulk cord and add the ends. I have seen people say 12/3 is sufficient but when I went shopping all the 12/3 cords were rated 15 amps. Should I go with some bulk 10/3.

Any advice would be appreciated.

12awg SO/ SJ cable is rated for 20a.
Make your own cord, don't cut an end off a extension cord, it's an assembly and as such , when modified it is no longer rated. SO has a thicker jacket that's much more forgiving than Chinese crap.

I'd just buy some cheap SJOOW 12/3 cable from Home Depot, they sell it by the foot for like $1.20, throw some ends on it and your good.

Yup, or if you dont want to wait like i said you can goto any Home Depot and buy it by the foot for not much more than that ebay price...25' is a lot of cable, you can save some $$$ if you just go there and tell them you want a 9-10' section or whatever you need.

Our Lowes usually has SO cable that someone brought back or the end of a reel for 50% off, worth taking a look. I have 40ft of 10/4 I got for 20ft price.

Also, search power-cords on Craigslist. I built a 2x 120v source and picked up a bunch of heavy-duty 20A cords for like $6 ea

Then for my 15A stuffs I used PC cords from my IT buds.

I checked home depot and the 12/3 is special order only for the "by the foot". They have everything else. I will check lowes tomorrow before I pull the trigger on the ebay one. I do need at least 12-15 feet to reach the outlet I will be installing near the breaker box, then I will also need a couple feet for the rims tube itself so 25 feet isnt really much more than i need.

You do realize you are not supposed to load a circuit to the maximum, rather it should be loaded at 80% or 16 Amps in your case.

You do realize you are not supposed to load a circuit to the maximum, rather it should be loaded at 80% or 16 Amps in your case.

From what I understand the 80% load is for continuous load (over 3 hours) which this wont apply. I will be heating the water with gas and just using the rims for holding temp and a short rise for mashout. I have been assured by an electrician that I am safe.

12awg SO/ SJ cable is rated for 20a.
Make your own cord, don't cut an end off a extension cord, it's an assembly and as such , when modified it is no longer rated. SO has a thicker jacket that's much more forgiving than Chinese crap.

Some is rated for 25A at 300v actually... The stuff I bought at home depot is clearly marked as such.

From what I understand the 80% load is for continuous load (over 3 hours) which this wont apply. I will be heating the water with gas and just using the rims for holding temp and a short rise for mashout. I have been assured by an electrician that I am safe.

You are correct... This 80% rule is often misquoted here...

Back