Pitching lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
I"m getting ready to do a lager with dry yeast. Package says to pitch above 68 deg. Then says optimum fermenting temp is 53 deg.

Does that mean I pitch at 68 and immediately put in a 53 deg frig. Or do I wait for fermentation to start then go to 53?

Should I go to 53 over the course of a few days or in 1 day?

There are a number of ways to skin that cat. I've always pitched at the higher temperature and then, at the very first sign of yeast activity, put the fermenter into the cooler and started dropping the temperature. That's always worked for me. Others chill the wort to fermentation temperature and pitch. Others, still, chill the wort to below fermentation temperature, pitch, and then let the temperature come back up. Everyone reports good results, so choose what sounds most interesting or most comfortable.

Personally, I want to try the third method sometime, but I'm always so anxious to pitch my yeast. It's the only part of the process where I have problems being patient. :)

TL

I was just listening to an episode of the Jamil Show about Miabocks yesterday and he uses the 3rd method for what its worth. He said he chills the wort to 40F then pitches and slowly raises the temp to ~50F. I definitely trust his opinion on most things beer.

I'm using Saflager S-23.

What would be the benefit of pitching at 40 and warming to 50?

Latest posts

Back