What to do with 1lb Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
I got my Xmas gift from my brother in Portland, 1 lb. of Simcoe whole hops.

I haven't made a beer with Simcoe yet. Also, I have always purchased the pellets of the hops only needed for the next brew. Based on what I learned here, they are used the same way. Guess I need to go to a head shop and get a scale.

While I don't want the tail wagging the dog, what should I make?
I do plan to vacuum seal and freeze the lb. in 1 or 2 oz. portions.

Prior to receiving this, my next up is Silky Stout, Irish Red, a Sam Adams XMAS Lager (first lager), and a Hefe. I don't think any of these use Simcoe. I tasted a Simcoe IPA and prefer the cascade & centennial IPA's more.

What to Do, What to do????

John Beere said:
An all simcoe IPA is a good idea...

Can you ask where he got it? I've been searching for some in bulk but have not had any luck...

He got them at F H Steinbart in Portland Oregon. He said they come from the Yakima Valley in Western Wshington.

The Portland are seems to be the place to live if you are a homebrewer.

Yuri_Rage said:
Dude's Lake Walk Pale recipe is fantastic. I highly recommend it if you can get some Amarillo and Cascade/Centennial to complement the Simcoe.

This recipe looks great.
I can get these other hops, but in pellets. Any issues with mix matching pellets and whole hops in the beer? I plan to just toss in the hops in secondary and rack above the yeast cake/hop sediment.

Also, do you toast the 2 lb. of malted 2 row pale in the oven for this recipe?

gonzo brewer said:
This recipe looks great.
I can get these other hops, but in pellets. Any issues with mix matching pellets and whole hops in the beer? I plan to just toss in the hops in secondary and rack above the yeast cake/hop sediment.

Also, do you toast the 2 lb. of malted 2 row pale in the oven for this recipe?
No problem mixing pellets and whole. In fact, I did just that when I made it last month. If you read through the thread, Dude describes his method for toasting the grain in the oven.

Yeah, I found it in the thread.

This forum is great. All the information you need to make really great beer.

This beer is definitely on my 1st qtr 2008 list.

gonzo brewer said:
This beer is definitely on my 1st qtr 2008 list.

My list of things that I want to try brewing keeps getting longer, and my wifes patience with my brewing keeps getting shorter. It appears to be a definite inverse relationship.

My wife has requested a lager. We had the Sam Adams Winter 2 nights ago at TGI Fridays and she loved it.

I must make what my wife likes to keep this obsession going.

gonzo brewer said:
Thanx Mustangj, Iwill try the Downtown Georgia Brown soon. Pliny the Elder is on my list also.

Have you made any of these?

Not yet. My next batch will be n IPA.

I picked up a pound of simcoe from fresh hop.com no to long ago.

gonzo brewer said:
Guess I need to go to a head shop and get a scale.
No need to go to a head shop. Well...unless you've got other business there.
smoking-smiley-5424.gif
Any housewares store will have reasonably priced electronic scales that are quite accurate.

BlindLemonLars said:
No need to go to a head shop. Well...unless you've got other business there.
smoking-smiley-5424.gif
Any housewares store will have reasonably priced electronic scales that are quite accurate.

Hey Blind Lemon Lars,
I work downtown LA at City Hall. As you walk towards skid row, on 2nd street between Los Angeles st and Alameda is a row of head shops. I have no need to walk in (haven't been in a head shop since the late 70's) but since this is near the wholesale district, would'nt the prices be better than say target or Walmart?

gonzo brewer said:
I work downtown LA at City Hall. As you walk towards skid row, on 2nd street between Los Angeles st and Alameda is a row of head shops. I have no need to walk in (haven't been in a head shop since the late 70's) but since this is near the wholesale district, would'nt the prices be better than say target or Walmart?
I know the shops you mean, I've driven past them. Honestly, I wouldn't know what they charge, but I'd think that the big chain stores would be cheaper, simply due to economies of scale. I bet for every scale a head shop sells, Walmart sells a thousand! But if it's convenient, have a look and see. Park in a well lit spot!

I've seen very nice kitchen scales for as little as $20. I already had one for cooking, now it's doing double-duty for brewing as well.

Back