Pennsylvania Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmc23

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Danielle and actually I am getting my dad into homebrewing for christmas. My dad and uncle have talked about it for awhile and they have concocted some great margaritas in our home bar. It would be a cool gift because I know they will really be into it, they love beer, especially the locals (Red Star in Greensburg and Church in Pitts) and they love a challenge (they are really proud of their margaritas-everyone in town has had them). My questions:

1. Im outside of Pittsburgh are there any local stores? Or online whats the best

2. I want to get them a good starter set up, money is not an issue, I would like to get them set up so if they enjoy it, they can have a good foundation to build upon (glass? plastic?)

3. What books do you recommend or magazines I could get them.

All your help would be greatly appreciated. Of course I will get them set up here after the 25th I dont want to give away the suprise.

Thanks in advance
Danielle

Welcome to HBT! :mug:
1. Here's a list of stores in PA. I've also included a link to the American Homebrewers Association if you want to do additional searches.
http://www.beertown.org/apps/shops/index.aspx

Country Wines
3333 Babcock Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15237-2421
Phone: (412) 366-0151; (866) 880-7404
Fax: (412) 366-9809
Email: [email protected]
Web site: www.countrywines.com
Since 1972, supplies for the brewer and winemaker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keystone Homebrew Supply - Bethlehem
599 Main Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018
Phone: (610) 997-0911
Fax:
Web site: www.keystonehomebrew.com
Where winning brewers find quality ingredients and expert advice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keystone Homebrew Supply - Montgomeryville
779 Bethlehem Pike
Montgomeryville, PA 18936
Phone: (215) 855-0100
Fax:
Web site: www.keystonehomebrew.com
Where winning brewers find quality ingredients and expert advice! Second location to serve you better.

Porter House Brew Shop LLC - Pittsburgh North
1284 Perry Highway
Portersville, PA 16051
Phone: (724) 368-9771
Fax:
Web site: www.porterhousebrewshop.com
Pittsburgh area's newest brew shop offering a full line of supplies including organics in a warm, clean, friendly atmosphere.Fair Trade Organic Coffee & Tea

South Hills Brewing Supply
2212 Noblestown Rd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15205
Phone: (412) 937-0773
Fax:
Web site: www.southhillsbrewing.com
Not your typical LHBS! Neat - Clean Stocked - Experienced

Wine & Beer Emporium, LLC
101 Ridge Road # 27
Chadds Ford, PA 19317
Phone: (610) 558-2337
Fax: (610) 558-0410
Web site: www.winebeeremporium.com
All your home beer and wine making supplies, fine cigars and much more. Get ready for our new coffee shop expansion!
Wine, Barley & Hops Homebrew Supply
248 Bustleton Pike
Feasterville, PA 19053
Phone: (215) 322-4780
Fax: (215) 322-4781
Email:
Web site: www.winebarleyandhops.com
Your source for premium beer and wine making supplies.

2. This is a good starter kit. Also Austin Homebrew Supply is a great mail order company.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=400

3. I recommend Charlie Papasian's The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing.Charlie really makes brewing fun.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

How close are you to Blairsville? There is a small brew store located close that sells some decent kits.

I don't know which way you are outside of Pittsburgh, but, I live in Butler and plan on going to Emmonds Homebrew Express in Ford city. I have already been Ben's Homebrew in tarentum and Ben seems like a really nice guy.

I was just at the new Porter House Brew Shop the other day:

1284 Perry Highway
Portersville, PA 16051
Phone: (724) 368-9771
Fax:

I live in Cranberry Twp and they are about 20 minutes up the road from me right on 19 in Portersville. Small shop, great bunch of people running the place. I will be bouncing back and forth between them and Country Wines depending on what I need. The owner of South Hills Brewing just aquired the Country Wines store so look for some changes there.

just wanted to drop in and say that I am a first time brewer from PA too (levittown/bristol area). I went to wine barley and hops in feasterville and the people there were extremely nice to me and they had a lot of stuff inside.

jota said:
just wanted to drop in and say that I am a first time brewer from PA too (levittown/bristol area). I went to wine barley and hops in feasterville and the people there were extremely nice to me and they had a lot of stuff inside.

I have to swing by that area for work every so often and I keep meaning to stop in and check that place out. How are their prices/selection/freshness? Any idea what their hop status is?

it was the first time i've ever been in a brew store, so it was the best one i've ever seen. Looked like they had a good selection of hops from what i could tell.

Latest posts

Back