Coopers Sparkling Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoryG

Reaction score
Hello all this is my first post on here.

My latest batch is a Coopers Sparkling Ale with steeped roasted barley - will hopefully turn out something like a stout/porter, but I've never done this kit before so who knows!?

Anyway, my question regards the yeast. I'm told that the Sparkling ale comes with a mixture of Ale and Lager yeast - this has confused me! The Coopers instructions don't mention any special requirements, but I'm not sure whether i'm meant to be cold fermenting it for the lager yeast... And if i do cold ferment it, what happens to the ale yeast!!?!? I've currently got it at 17C (63F) and just seeing how it goes.

Does anyone have experience with combination yeasts? What do you suggest is the temperature to go for?

Cheers!

coopers sparkling ale is not a stout or a porter, it's a golden ale. as far as the yeast i doubt it's a blend of lager and ale yeast. what yeast came with the kit?

Yeah, I know it's a not a stout, but i steeped some roasted barley and added it to the kit in the hope that i'd get something like a stout :D
As for the yeast, I used the packet that came with the kit. Here is the link that talks about coopers yeast and it seems to say that the sparkling ale yeast is a combo of both ale and lager yeast... ?
http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=1803

Ah shucks, i'll copy and paste in the relevant part :)

Thomas Coopers Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)
Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note:
Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).

A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence).

looks like it is a mix of ale and lager yeast. who knows what temperature they ferment at, the safest bet would be to ferment at the lower end of the ale temp, low 60's.

looks like it is a mix of ale and lager yeast. who knows what temperature they ferment at, the safest bet would be to ferment at the lower end of the ale temp, low 60's.

+1, Ale yeast won't ferment at lager temps but lager yeast does ferment at Ale temps, so split the diff and ferment at low end of Ale temps.

Back