MASH Water Flow Direction > Stuck Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thargrav

Reaction score
I just had a thought - is anyone pumping water through their mash from the bottom up? This would be one way to prevent a stuck mash.

The Speidel Braumeister pumps the water up through the mash. If you're talking about a stuck sparge, I don't think up flow would work in the traditional sense of sparging.

half of the reason to circulate durring the main mash is for the vourlauff (sp?) effect of clearing the particulate out of the wort. if you pumped in reverse, all the particles would be deposited at the bottom of the grain bed. then when you went to sparge, they would all come out into the boil kettle where you dont want them.

i dont think reverse sparging would work very well. you would probably have to reverse the flow back to top-to-bottom in order to sparge.

ive pumped into the bottom before to clear a stuck sparge. it does work for that, its just not something to do as a normal practice. if you are getting stuck sparges (mashes?), you should work on your false bottom, or adjust your flow rate to avoid grainbed compaction instead.

Back