Interesting idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Youretheguy

Reaction score
I want carbonate some cider for the first time this weekend but I didn't want to mess up a 6 month aged beverage due to newb negligence. So I decided I wanted to carbonate some water first and make seltzer. I got to thinking about how lame seltzer was and I decided I want to try making one of my favorite carbonated mixed drinks.
Is it possible to carbonate a lime, sugar, rum and water combo in my corny keg? I was thinking I could rub some mint and put it in my hop bag and let that sucker float around in there too.
Has anybody tried something like this before?

I don't own a kegging system, but I see no reason why this wouldn't work. You should be able to force carbonate any beverage you want.

It'll work - some people here make their own soda (rootbeer, etc), and force-carb to carbonate them. You have to keep things cold, to prevent fermentation (otherwise - BOOM), but aside from that its little different than carbing beer.

Bryan

I have done both soda and soda water. I always have one on tap with my beers. I keep their reg set to about 30 or what ever you like for that drink. After about a week it is fully carbed and great.

Update on my idea. I made the drink last night with 39 degree liquid and 30 psi of co2. I shook the keg about 200 times then I purged some of the pressure. I tried a glass but most of it was pure foam. When it settled the drink was good but only slightly carbonated. Could there still be too much pressure in the keg causing degassing effect on liquid?

you just need to let it sit for several days on 30#s it will get more and more carbonated. Its not too much pressure that is causing the foam, it's that the gas is not fully mixed in the liquid yet.

Figure that out, set the pressure, bleed off air in the head space so all you have in there is beer and co2, shake the keg, and I don't think you have to get crazy with it, I have seen some people roll ye keg back and forth. Then let it sit for three days. But like I said I am a beginner and have not done this yet

Second update. I just tried the mojito and it is just about perfect. I guess it takes some finagling with the pressure and time elapsing but I'm confident enough to try a cider now.
Also a note for anyone trying this, though it is proven to make the ladies drop trou, think twice about making 5 gallons of mojito. I squeezed 50 limes and plucked at least 300 leaves off my mint patch. If any of you guys want the recipie I'll post it upon request (I am 100% Cuban so it's an official recipie).

Recipe:

6 1/2 cups of sugar
50 fresh squeezed limes ( don't buy lime juice in a bottle)
300 *estimated fresh picked mint leaves (just start growing some it grows like crazy)
1 1/2 handles of Bacardi superior (the clear one)
Water to volume

Squeeze the limes into a big tupperware container using one of those lime presses if you have one. If you do t I hope you have good grip strength.
Choose the mint leaves you want. They tend to have more potency towards the bud but get slightly bitter the closer it gets to flowering. I like to use younger shoots because I like flavor more. Any how it's up to you but taste them so you know what your getting into. If you need to buy mint get it from a farmers market not from grocery store, it's just not the same.
Mix the sugar with a little bit of water roughly 1/2 the volume of sugar to make a simple syrup. Heat the mixture in a pan on med heat then switch to low until its clear. I put in half the mint into the hot syrup and make a sort of syrup mint tea. After 15 minutes of low heat pour the syrup through a strainer so there is no leaf debris.
Once the syrup cools start mixing the ingredients together. I just did it in the keg and mixed it up.
I never just dump all the ingredients in at once. Since you have to fill it to volume with water I add it in increments so that I don't add too much lime or sugar. As for the Bacardi it doesn't matter because you won't be able to taste it even of you put 3 full handles in. I ended up using all of it anyway but it's better to stand on the safe side by sampling. one last touch I added was to fill a hop bag with several handfuls of mint, rub it up, and toss it in the keg at the end.
Chill and Carb the mixture then your done.

Just to clarify your recipe.... How much is a handle of Bacardi? I assume one and a half handles is a 1.75 liter bottle but want to make sure. And water to volume is just filling the keg the rest of the way till its full?

Just to clarify your recipe.... How much is a handle of Bacardi? I assume one and a half handles is a 1.75 liter bottle but want to make sure. And water to volume is just filling the keg the rest of the way till its full?

Correct 1.75 liter per handle and 5 gal total volume. Sorry I was kinda buzzed when I wrote that.

Back