Blizzard Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02fx4dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I knew last night after shoveling for 30 minutes that I wasn't going to head to work today. Since I had picked up ingredients on Sunday for brewing this Saturday, I decided to move things up a few days.

Anyone else snowed in and brewing.

I'm doing a batch of Honey Bee Ale.

5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.11 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.50 oz Perle [9.49 %] (60 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (2 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
3.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 33.33 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Ironically, I will be enjoying this beer in June, fishing on a nice summer evening.

Anyone else snowed in and brewing?

I am debating it, I just need to find a funnel for my carboy because my buckets are full.

No brewing...just drinking. I have to replenish fluids after the 2hr shovel fest.

No grain on hand for brewing (need to order up some more)... Brewed last Saturday, bottled a batch on Sunday, so I have a primary free... Thinking about getting some grain and brewing a batch this weekend... Since I'll also be bottling a batch this weekend (waiting for bottle supplies to arrive) I should be set to brew this weekend and still have something free for the brew we'll be making on 2/26 (a 10 gallon batch of Cream ale, with free MO :D)...

I have two batches bottle carbonating right now too... One bottled on 1/23, the other from 1/30... Nothing ready to drink just yet... :( Might chill one down starting tomorrow so that I can 'test it' on Friday... :D

Just need to pick what to make... hmmmmm decisions, decisions, decisions...

I'm sitting down and eating while I'm waiting for the boil to start, and having a Kiwi Wit with my lunch.

Love the smell of mashed grains on a cold winter day.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I can work from home. No brewing for me....which is probably just as well, because I have no hops on hand, and my only yeast is still working on the batch from Saturday.

Got more grain on order, should be here early next week... So no brewing this weekend... I might try and get home early enough during next week to brew before the weekend... :D Might be tight, since I don't have a propane burner yet...

So unless we get another blizzard towards the end of next week, or starting on Sunday, I won't be making a Blizzard Brew... :D At least, not yet...

dude, where in WI are you?? Brewed a CDA today. (no school today, I'm a teacher) I'm in Milwaukee and we got hit hard!!

I'm in Waukesha, just down the road. We didn't get it as bad as you, but still enough for me.

It's pitched and in the ferment chamber now. Things went pretty smooth today, except at the end I had a mishap with my brew pot soaking in PBW. My OG came in at 1.060, instead of 1.053 beersmith said for estimated OG, so I'll have to think about that a bit.

Guess I gotta go shovel out now.

Work was cancelled today but with the 16+ inches of snow to shovel my bonus brew day had been delayed. Plan to brew on Saturday instead and make a Pislner to be ready the start of baseball season.

Back