wyeast 2308 munich lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyo220

Reaction score
I am fermenting an all grain vienna right now (first lager). I pitched my starter at 50 deg. Set my new brewers edge up on the fridge in the shop to maintain 50 deg. I had air lock activity in 12 hours. I went out of town for work three days ago and when I came back last night the temp was 42 deg. I know why its colder the outside temp has been getting into the upper thirtys at night and the shop warms up slow during the day. My question is how low can I go with this yeast before I will suffer super slow or stuck fermentation. I can move the fridge down into my basement but it would be a serious pain to get in there.
Thanks
Kyle

I am fermenting an all grain vienna right now (first lager). I pitched my starter at 50 deg. Set my new brewers edge up on the fridge in the shop to maintain 50 deg. I had air lock activity in 12 hours. I went out of town for work three days ago and when I came back last night the temp was 42 deg. I know why its colder the outside temp has been getting into the upper thirtys at night and the shop warms up slow during the day. My question is how low can I go with this yeast before I will suffer super slow or stuck fermentation. I can move the fridge down into my basement but it would be a serious pain to get in there.
Thanks
Kyle

My favorite lager yeast! 42 is pushing it, getting near lagering temps.. If I were you, I would get a low power incandescent lightbulb and plug it in inside the ferment chamber. It might cause your freezer to cycle on a bit more, but you wouldn't have to worry about it being too cold. Better than moving a freezer!

Back