Using copper tubing for propane lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianL

Reaction score
I've read that you can't use compression fittings when using copper tubing for gas, but in alot of the brewstand pics people are using something that looks alot like compression fittings. Is there another type of fitting for this application? Or do you just need to solder the connections?

I think I'm leaning towards the flex lines anyway, but just curious.

Where did you read this? Who says you can't? It might be a local code issue for home installs but I don't think you'll be having your brew stand inspected. Did you pull a permit for the construction? I'm pretty sure nothing at all about a brew stand is legal on a residential property.

I had to educate myself a bit more on flare fittings. I thought it was just a fitting type, didn't realize you could flare the tube itself and then connect.

Thanks!

You make it through one brewstand build and there isn't much around the house you won't be able to fix!

Add me as another copper-PIPE distribution for propane.

I use Copper pipe to Copper NPT to gas valve to Brass flare. to steel gas hose to the burner flare.

I also used yellow gas thread tape for the non-flare fittings. It's important to NOT use tape on the flare connections.

And leak test your joints to be sure.

+1 on this.

I was also told to not use compression fittings with propane and to use flare instead.

I've had no leaks whatsoever even after I did the following: Wrench tightened the comp fitting, realized a mistake I made, loosened the comp fitting, took the copper tube out of the fitting, fixed the mistake, and re-wrench tightened it using the same ferrules.

Have you guys had any problems with not replacing ferrules? I've been told they are only for a one-time use. I didn't replace them because I'm lazy.

All copper lines here for the burners and pilots

RearMT.jpg

works great. test ur connections with soapy water and make sure they are tight. AND DO NOT USE THREAD TAPE ON FLARE FITTINGS!!!!!!!!!

Back