Stainless Camlocks review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always do just a water brew test everything out using the vinyl hose. You will most likely want to do that anyways to leak-test and give a good wash and rinse to everything.

I did mine with cold water through the process and then heated it up and added Oxy Clean. I then rinsed it all and then brought the rinse water to a boil for a hot test. Was fun to see it in action and make sure that any spills and leaks were just water and not sweet wort.

did my first batch with camlocks on HLT, MLT and BK, pump and hoses...very much pleased and they can definitely be a one-handed operation...

dedhedjed said:
did my first batch with camlocks on HLT, MLT and BK, pump and hoses...very much pleased and they can definitely be a one-handed operation...

Even with the stock gaskets I found it easy to one hand the operation, but too hands is just better.

I don't see where using one hands is a benefit.

I lost very wort with todays brew probably a quarter cup at the most.

-= jason =-

You could always do just a water brew test everything out using the vinyl hose. You will most likely want to do that anyways to leak-test and give a good wash and rinse to everything.

I did mine with cold water through the process and then heated it up and added Oxy Clean. I then rinsed it all and then brought the rinse water to a boil for a hot test. Was fun to see it in action and make sure that any spills and leaks were just water and not sweet wort.

Excellent advice....NEVER brew on a system you haven't first leak tested at high temp with water.....best case scenario you get a couple dribbles....worst case scenario....something fails catastrophically and you've got a wort Chernobyl on your hands.... ;)

Excellent advice....NEVER brew on a system you haven't first leak tested at high temp with water.....best case scenario you get a couple dribbles....worst case scenario....something fails catastrophically and you've got a wort Chernobyl on your hands.... ;)

I spent the day Saturday finishing up connections and what not. tested with Oxyclean and Hot water and not a leak. I don't have any thing on my tubing just threaded the 90 bends into my silicone and its not leaking at all.

for peace of mind I think I"ll add some zip ties.

-=Jason=-

Switched over to these and have used for two brewing sessions. With Sili hose, great! Easy to use, attach move, etc... They clean easy and are easy to use. One handed technique comes quickly if you focus on pulling both sides back at the same rate. Also when initially joining, push in a little to compress the o ring.

Keep a bucket of PBW for post use soak.

You realize the saying is "peace of mind" right? Not "peak". As in giving peace to your mind and not worrying. :p

thanks for the info.

You were able to figure out what I was trying to convey ;) .

I make typos all the time. I am thinking of one word when my hands type out another. I guess I should proof read better.

-=Jason=-

why dont you get a reamer and drill from msc industrial or mcmaster? A hand drill and bench vise can usually take out about .05-.07 easily enough. you should be able to take half of the wall thickness away if its ss. The hose clamp shouldnt be able to cruch the weakened wall. it will most likely strip itself out first.

Is this the correct combo for the pot itself:

1X- 1/2" Camlock F

1X- 1/2" Camlock C

1X- 1/2" Street 90

My plan is to utilize Bargainfittings as they support HBT and also go with

2X- 1/2" NPT Female hose barbs for the wort thruput of the chiller

Anyone know if SS hose ends are available for the water side?

Thanks

c & D for hoses. Probably the C for hoses, both ends. F for male 1/2" fitting like into T or ball valve. A type for female 1/2 to go over a nipple. Keep the cam lock ends on hoses.

you can set this up anyway you want, but I have the "female locking" device on each end of my hoses. then everything else is getting male parts. depending on your setup you need to get the correct ones.

what I am using might not work for some one else and visa-versa

-=Jason=-

Grazie!

I'm goin with what I got and I'll change if necessary...I'm sure I'll eventually need lots more;^)

On Pro Flow's site, the 1/2" hose barbs look much bigger than on bargainfittings.com and in Bobby's video. Are they using photos of another size of camlock fitting as "representative"?

It's the same stock image for every size. I'm guessing you'll get a barb like the one shown @ bargainfittings and Bobby_M.

The pic on the pro-flow site is not for the 1/2", even though thats what you're supposed to be looking at. I'd guess its the 1" or the 1.5" or something, but it aint the 1/2".

If anyone is building a Cam based system and looking for the higher ID/OD barbs, mainland valve and fittings can sell you a 1/2" MPT x 5/8" barb in SS with a 90 degree built in which can be combined with the B type to get the setup in BobbyM's video with 'almost' full 1/2" flow without having to grind threads.

The part is not listed on their ebay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Mainland-Valve-and-Fitting-Inc) but you can email them to get the part, cost is $10.40 each - not cheap but if you want the functionality, it's cheaper and simpler than combining an elbow and barb.

If anyone is building a Cam based system and looking for the higher ID/OD barbs, mainland valve and fittings can sell you a 1/2" MPT x 5/8" barb in SS with a 90 degree built in which can be combined with the B type to get the setup in BobbyM's video with 'almost' full 1/2" flow without having to grind threads.

The part is not listed on their ebay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Mainland-Valve-and-Fitting-Inc) but you can email them to get the part, cost is $10.40 each - not cheap but if you want the functionality, it's cheaper and simpler than combining an elbow and barb.

Do you have a picture of one of the fittings?

Those look great, though I'd like to know the size of the bore.

More info from the vendor: he can also do a 3/4" barb on the same part (cost $9.58). The 3/4" bore has an ID of 19/32. He doesn't have a 5/8 in stock to check but based on the other numbers I'd guess it's slightly smaller than 1/2", probably 15/32".

Hi guys
I am trying to order a set of cam locks for my pots and am finding ti hard to get some to ship them to me ( i live in New Zealand) does anyone know a supplier that will ship internationally.
Thanks Dean

This is what I did to hold the street 90's. It's a 12" x 1/2" sprinkler extension from one of the big DIY stores.

5818996952_c1a4c8b97a_m.jpg

This is it after it was ground down.

5818432367_e532aec721_m.jpg

These are the tools I used.

5818998328_f613bb1fd6_m.jpg

Hi guys
I am trying to order a set of cam locks for my pots and am finding ti hard to get some to ship them to me ( i live in New Zealand) does anyone know a supplier that will ship internationally.
Thanks Dean
Try Bobby M at brewhardware.com

B

So I got 4 of these recently, mine have the white silicone gasket inside - it's a really tight fit to get them shut. What's the trick to get them latched? It can't be that I'm that big of a wuss.

I had the same problem. I got silicone orings from mcmaster. These are a lot thinner and make it easier to latch.

So I got 4 of these recently, mine have the white silicone gasket inside - it's a really tight fit to get them shut. What's the trick to get them latched? It can't be that I'm that big of a wuss.

Nope, you're a sissy... :D

I am a wuss for sure - but I read this thread with guys saying they think they can do this one-handed without the rings and I'm thinking I might need to stand on them to get them closed...(and open for that matter)...

I am a wuss for sure - but I read this thread with guys saying they think they can do this one-handed without the rings and I'm thinking I might need to stand on them to get them closed...(and open for that matter)...

I'm just giving you a hard time, I purchased mine before anyone was supplying the silicone gaskets. I purchased some silicone orings to replace mine with, they open/close fairly easily with one hand.

Order some silicone O Rings from bargain fittings. Pull out the white and replace with the red/orange. They also take a while to break in. Push the fittings together and make sure that you draw handles back at the same time. After a while you will be doing this one handed.

FYI, I just ordered some Camlock fittings from Pro Flow Dynamics this morning. They had Type F fittings in stock and told me they would ship today.

Back