Am I A Lush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast-fish

Reaction score
I brew 2 five gallon batches a week, and I have two kegerators each with two taps, so I have four different beers on tap at all times.

Every friday the guys from work come over to make sure that I have two empty kegs to fill on saturday. (We call it the keg kill party)

I go through ten gallons of beer a week, but I have a lot of help too.

Wowza! 10 gallons a week! I'd say you need to cut down a little.... I drink almost every night and I dont come close to that...

Cheesefood said:
You're a man who believes a lazy liver is just pointless.

LOL, who was it that said I drink because my liver is my enemy?

I think lush is a harsh term.

Functioning Alcoholic, now maybe... :D As long as you still function anyway... :drunk:

Ize

You know what they say, If you have to ask...

Really, it depends on how much help your getting.

WOW! I'm upscaling my operation to brew more complex batches less often so that I'll always have some on tap, but I won't need to do a 6-9 hour AG brew day every week. You just brew like a fiend! Good for you, and no, you're not a lush, you're my hero.

I am a firm believer in the Buffalo Theory;

A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When predators approach the herd, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain as a unit can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Cheers,

knewshound

Are you really "Hank the Tank" from the movie Old School? You go "Hank the Tank"!

NM68657 said:
Are you really "Hank the Tank" from the movie Old School? You go "Hank the Tank"!
:mug: :mug:

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--George Orwell

fast-fish said:
I brew 2 five gallon batches a week, and I have two kegerators each with two taps, so I have four different beers on tap at all times.

Every friday the guys from work come over to make sure that I have two empty kegs to fill on saturday. (We call it the keg kill party)

I go through ten gallons of beer a week, but I have a lot of help too.

I think your only problem is if the guys from work coming Fri don't come back Sat with ingredients and labor to help make your next 10g. I'd have an issue with that.

knewshound said:
I am a firm believer in the Buffalo Theory;

A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When predators approach the herd, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain as a unit can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Cheers,

knewshound

ROTFLMAO!!:mug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM68657

:mug: :mug:

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."

Um, did you really just quote yourself there?

desertBrew said:
I think your only problem is if the guys from work coming Fri don't come back Sat with ingredients and labor to help make your next 10g. I'd have an issue with that.
Too right! Start charging admission on the door if they don't chip in on Saturdays!

FrankTheTank_Fullpic_1.gif

:rockin:

My mother in law thinks anyone who drinks is an alcoholic. I brought this point up to my father in law once ( they're divorced). He said, " You may be, but WTF, everybody needs a hobby!"
I agree on the point of your friends needing to kick in on the ingredients/ labor.
Remember that the liver is a highly overrated organ. You can actually live without it for a short time. Use yours to its best advantage.

Holy crap! Do you have a significant other? I brew a hell of alot---just started in july, and I'm up to 15 batches---but nothing on that scale. SWMBO would have my ass in a sling if I stunk up the house every single saturday. You must be single, or your sig other goes away on weekends. Otherwise, I know of no woman on the planet that would put up with a double-batch every weekend.

Evan! said:
Holy crap! Do you have a significant other? I brew a hell of alot---just started in july, and I'm up to 15 batches---but nothing on that scale. SWMBO would have my ass in a sling if I stunk up the house every single saturday. You must be single, or your sig other goes away on weekends. Otherwise, I know of no woman on the planet that would put up with a double-batch every weekend.

My wife would go for it. She loves helping brew and loves drinking the finished product. If it were financial viable and if we could go through 10g a week, we would be brewing every Saturday as well.

is there a problem with being a lush???

I say embrace it for what it is, and drink all your beer right now!

Well... I have help.

I've got two roommates that help pay for and dispose of and finance the beer.

I'm only spending about 15 dollars a week out of my pocket, cause we split it up 3 ways.

It's not very much money or work to make sure we always have plenty of beer.

We get a lot of help drinking on Fridays, because we live 100 yards from where we work, about 6-7 people come by to kill some kegs for us.

sudsmonkey said:
My mother in law thinks anyone who drinks is an alcoholic. I brought this point up to my father in law once ( they're divorced). He said, " You may be, but WTF, everybody needs a hobby!"
I agree on the point of your friends needing to kick in on the ingredients/ labor.
Remember that the liver is a highly overrated organ. You can actually live without it for a short time. Use yours to its best advantage.

The organ that does most of the metabolism work of your body is over-rated, and you can live without one? Thank you for the wisdom, now go educate your doctor, I'm sure he/she will appreciate learning this new fact.

To the OP: The comment another made about 'if you need to ask...' is a pretty good gauge, actually. The primary screening device for alcoholism is called the CAGE questionaire. I think if you're asking this question, it would be worthwhile to answer the questions (there are only 4) and mention the results to your physician next time you're there. In case google is broken, the questions are:

Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?
Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking?
Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning (an eye-opener) to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover?

If you (or anyone else) is concerned about their drinking, get some help with it. I'm not convinced, personally, that the only answer to alcoholism is abstinence, but getting help, cutting back, or quitting drinking altogether is a much better option than drinking your liver cirrhotic and waiting for someone to have a car wreck so you can get a new one. Not to mention all the other organs that can be damaged!

That said... think I'll go have a beer :mug:

Back