Gearing up to brew my first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emadams1980

Reaction score
Let me just say right off the bat, I have more questions than I right down. That aside, What would be the best way to start? (equipment wise) I have only brewer 5 gal batches using extracts. Are there any good videos I could use? I learn better by watching and following the steps.

Thanks for the help guys.
Erik :confused:

You can spend as much or as little as you want, just know that.

There are a bunch of Stickies at the top of this section (all grain area) that have many great pictures and videos.

I think the first thing you need to do is decide how much money you want to spend on equipment. I did my first all grain using every stock pot I had (three), the oven, the stove and the buckets that I used for my extract brewing.

I have since made a mash tun and purchased another brew kettle. and I'm still doing it on my stove.....

I embedded a series of 8 videos from YouTube on my page here:

Brews and Blues » How-To

These short videos walk you through the entire process of an all-grain brew. I'm in your same situation and I'm getting ready to do my first AG brew next weekend, and I have found this video set to be quite helpful.

To pnj: I know what you mean by spending little or a lot. Some the the stuff I have been looking at is awesome but way too expensive. I think I will end up building some of the stuff I will need, I like to do that anyway.

To Benthic: Thanks for the DVD. I do learn this way, it makes everything so much easiers to understand.

To JMSetzler: The videos will come in very handy thank you. Good luck with your next batch.

Just remember RDWHAHB. It is intimidating. I was scared, then I did it and have since wondered why I didn't do it sooner. The guys on here were definitely helpful, but you can do it. Just be patient. If you choose to fly sparge, go slow. If you decide to batch sparge, stir well. I "hybrid fly sparge," there is a sticky on top of the all grain section about this. It really helped me out, and I like it. Take care. Enjoy!

Back