American HoneyWit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coprinus

Reaction score
I'm trying to develop a nice beer for July, something simple that won't mind temperatures on the high side. I've only ever made beer from kits, so I'm not real sure about the recipe. Here's what I have so far:

For 5 gallons:
2# Bavarian Wheat DME
3.3# Extra light LME
1# 6 row pale malt
1/2# Flaked wheat
1 oz. Cascade pellets
1 # honey
1 oz. Coriander seed
Safbrew WB-06 yeast

I'll add the hops at 60, 15, and 5 mins, and the coriander at 5 mins as well. I figure I'll add the honey at flame out to maximize the honey flavor.

I'm sure that you've all seen similar recipes, but if I'm making any obvious mistakes, please school me!

looks good.

you may already know this but honey is 100% fermentable and generally won't leave a lot of character in the beer post fermentation.

commercial breweries that add it often pastuerize their beer to kill yeast or filter the yeast out prior to adding honey so that there is some sweetness left as well as more honey character. for example, you could use honey as a bottling sugar if there was yeast left.

so depending on the honey you use, it could make little or no difference. it wont' be bad by any stretch. but you should be aware of this if you're not already.

Thanks for the feedback, noel. I debated it, but I had some nice local honey, and I went ahead and added it anyway - a little more than a pound, I think.
After two weeks fermenting and less than a week in the bottle (I can never wait), I just cracked the first bottle, and it's great! Besides the obvious pleasure of not totally screwing up, the flavor is a delicate balance of hops, coriander, and just a hint of honey flavor. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I really think it's there. Looks like I'm set for the month!
Now to devise an even more refreshing option for the dog days of August.

I just made something fairly similar and it's in the carboy right now.

5 gallons and 30 min boil:

3# Muntons Wheat DME at 30 min
2# Muntons Extra Light DME at 15 min
1/2# Honey Malt steeped
1/2oz Tettnager pellets at 30 min
1/2oz Tettnager pellets at 5 min
6 oz orange zest at 5 min
1/2oz coriander at 5 min
WLP320 American Hefe yeast

Hoping for a nice thirst quenching summer wheat, we'll see.

Latest posts

Back