Johnson Controls A419 with mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I just got my Johnson Controls A419 to use with a 4.6 cubic foot wine fridge for a fermentation chamber. I also bought the thermo well with it so I could keep the probe in a bottle of water as a buffer. When I first plugged it in, I set the temp at 63 degrees with a 1 degree differential. The Anti Short Cycle Delay is set to 12 mins. The temp held perfectly at 63. I have the probe in a 1 liter bottle of tap water.

Then I set it at 42 before I went to bed. When I woke up, the temp was down to 45, but I didn't hear the compressor running. It did turn on after about 10 minutes, but I'm afraid the coldest this fridge will get a volume of liquid is 45. Does that sound normal for a mini-fridge? Just curious if, #1, there is anything I'm doing wrong, and #2, is there any need to get the temp below 45 degrees, or is that cool enough for lagering?

Thanks in advance for your input!

I think 45 is cool enough. Also, most wines aren't stored very cold, so I'd look into how cold the wine cabinet can get...

My wine fridge will not cool below 45F as well. 45F is a good temperature for lagering, check the recommended temperature range of the yeast you want to use as some do better than others as I recall.

The Haier beverage/wine cooler I have goes to 41° but the Kenmore mini fridge behind the bar set at 5 will freeze everything in it.

If its a wine cooler then its possible that it will only go down to 45° because the internal thermostat will kick it off . I would just bypass the internal thermostat if you want it to go lower

I figured tht t-stat just shuts it off at 45....anybody know an easy way to bypass the internal thermostat that won't be permanent? Also, is a 1 liter bottle of water a large enough volume of liquid to use as a temp buffer?

I figured tht t-stat just shuts it off at 45....anybody know an easy way to bypass the internal thermostat that won't be permanent? Also, is a 1 liter bottle of water a large enough volume of liquid to use as a temp buffer?

The wiring diagram should show the hot wire going to the Tstate and the wire going to the compressor you can either cut them and connect them or use a scotch block connector

Back