Has anyone given these a shot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubcut

Reaction score
3574138120_b6e1c5a880.jpg

3573331837_631be5f760.jpg

Mini injector on one side, directly tapped on the other. Thoughts on this?

Yes, I've used it. I did not have great results - beer foamed almost the whole time, but that could also be due to the short settling time I gave it after it rode for an hour in a car.

Also, I wondered if there were any lubricants, etc in the cartridges I got. I got a MASSIVE headache from this beer, and considering it was low-alcohol and I'd never gotten a headache like that before (at least, not until the morning after), I wondered if it could have been the cartridge.

It's also a pain in the ass to switch them out. You lose pressure because of the order in which you have to disconnect everything.

I switched this most recent time to bringing my whole getup with me (tank and regulator), turned the pressure down to like 2 PSI and got much better results.

I've been using both the tap and the injector for years without problems. I have not had any problems with pressure loss when changing cartridges either. You do want to keep the pressure low when serving to avoid excessive foaming as there is no length of beer line to provide the resistance you would normally have when using a cobra tap.

I doubt that the cartridges caused the headache issue that imulligan mentioned. There shouldn't be any lubricants in the cartridges unless they are special somehow.

I find them to be very convenient for taking kegs to parties etc. I especially like to use them with my small 3 gallon corny kegs. The combination makes it almost too easy.

I recommend you get some fridge/waterline it's 1/4 od and 1/8 ID and that helps with the foam a ton I use them in the keg-a-rator too so I don't need 20 feet of hose it fits nicely in the dip tube.

I recently purchased and used one with good results on a keg of Apfelwein for a friends b-day recently (was an excuse to buy a new beer toy :p). I used a cobra tap on a few feet of line instead of the direct faucet pictured though so I got a bit more resistance from the line. The one thing that I learned was it really takes the absolute tiniest of squeezes on the trigger to keep enough pressure in the keg to serve.

I think I may go with mixer inserts in the dip tube for extra resistance or increase the line on my cobra tap for more resistance that way it can be served at a bit higher pressure so you don't have to be so ninja-like on the trigger.

Also, I wondered if there were any lubricants, etc in the cartridges I got. I got a MASSIVE headache from this beer, and considering it was low-alcohol and I'd never gotten a headache like that before (at least, not until the morning after), I wondered if it could have been the cartridge.

You did use CO2 cartriges right?
Not nitrous oxide by mistake

Nitrous Oxide Cartridges : GAS-DEPOT.com
;)

I use the injector on my coolerator when camping. I run a beer line to a shank and tap outside the cooler so I don't have to pop the lid off every time I want to pull a pint. Works great.

We've used both for years when we take our kegs to conventions. Both work really well and we've never had any problems.

The trick with the injector is to push your beer out with tiny little shots instead of blasting the whole cartridge at one time.

That's great to hear, I was kinda figuring it was too good to be true. I like what EdWort did in this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/3-gallon-kegs-91826/ ... I've got that glove thing coming in the mail for my three gallon, hopefully in time for the weekend. I think I'm going to stick with the picnic tap for now, but that direct tap looks so good.

Yeah I saw those, way way way too expensive. I'm gonna give the 20 dollar mini injector a go instead and try my best not to get trigger happy.

Latest posts

Back