I didnt rinse my barley when i strained it into the kettle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefarmr

Reaction score
This is my first 5 gallon brew. I used an extract kit for a North American IPA. I misread the instructions and didn't rinse my barley with hot water until clear. I just strained it into my kettle. I wasn't planning on making bread or anything so I dumped it... Has anyone made a stupid mistake like this before? What can I expect from this?

Are you saying that you didn't sparge your steeping grains with water after you let the muslin grain sack drip into the kettle?

If that's the case, you have nothing at all to worry about. I typically sparge mine with 160*F water, but it's not crucial. Failing to do it isn't going to ruin the brew.

Your OG will be lower than expected. You threw out good sugars with that malt. Sparging (rinsing) puts those sugars in the wort.

Can you link the recipe? I doubt it will be a big deal if you just used a small amount of "steeping grains" in a sack prior to using extract. A lot of time those steeping grains seem to be more for color than actual gravity points. Your description is pretty confusing so the actual recipe would be helpful.

You might have 4.8% instead of 4.9% beer now. Getting drunk will take 6 seconds longer. You are right to be upset. ;)

Are you saying that you didn't sparge your steeping grains with water after you let the muslin grain sack drip into the kettle?

If that's the case, you have nothing at all to worry about. I typically sparge mine with 160*F water, but it's not crucial. Failing to do it isn't going to ruin the brew.

This ^^^

You won't even notice the difference...

Gary

Thanks everyone! I was really stressing thinking my beer would be watery or undrinkable.

Now a different problem.... Maybe I should make a new thread about this, on Sunday I transferred my wort from my kettle to a primary fermenter, added the yeast, sealed the container and installed the airlock. After a day and a half I noticed bubbles in the tube of the airlock.

Today (Wednesday), I was going through my gear and found a piece of the airlock I forgot to install. It's the burper thing. I sanitized it and installed it, immediately it started burping.

How bad is this? What can I expect from this?

Thanks everyone! I was really stressing thinking my beer would be watery or undrinkable.

Now a different problem.... Maybe I should make a new thread about this, on Sunday I transferred my wort from my kettle to a primary fermenter, added the yeast, sealed the container and installed the airlock. After a day and a half I noticed bubbles in the tube of the airlock.

Today (Wednesday), I was going through my gear and found a piece of the airlock I forgot to install. It's the burper thing. I sanitized it and installed it, immediately it started burping.

dunworryabootit

lebucheron said:
You might have 4.8% instead of 4.9% beer now. Getting drunk will take 6 seconds longer. You are right to be upset. ;)

Better drink more to make up for it! :)

Your fine, as long as it was bubbling up through the liquid and none of the holes were just sitting in air.

Even then, theres a 99.99% chance that nothing is going to happen.

Regardless of all the posts you see on here, its actually quite difficult to infect your beer on accident, even with very half ass sanitation.

Latest posts

Back