Need to upgrade kettle inputs...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Ok so, splittling my AG batches into two pots is for the birds, but hey I'm just ramping up. Anyways, I need to get a solitary large kettle. My kitchen is currently the only suitable place to set up, but it is not too bad because I have a pretty high btu propane stove which has been doing a fairly good job of producing a nice rolling boil. So from what I have read 8 gallons is the bare minimum size (7.5 just seems really tight for higher gravity 5 gallon batches). And 10 to 11 seems large, but gives some headroom. So suggestions on where to get one from? I saw Northern Brewer has those Italian kettles but I am not certain as to the build quality, they seem to indicate it is made from sheets and welded vs. pressed? One other question, how important is a thick bottom? Anyone using thinner metal (sans thermal core) having trouble with scorching? I hate going midway with anything (I prefer to do things right from the get-go) but in this case I need some form of intermediary brew pot until some day when I have some more space set up. Thanks all! :mug:

orfy said:
Any chance of getting a keg, they are very thick compared to pots.

It'll be to hight to sit on the stove but you could cut it down.

Well that is my other predicament, which you reminded me of. I really don't have any metal working tools. No torches, plasma cutters, saws to do the trick. The experience I do have, but unfortunately I am quite limited on large/specialized tools. :( Thanks for the suggestion though :)

what do you guys think of this:

http://www.brew-4-less.com/

I just came across it. I am emailing the seller about details, although it looks like a non-clad bottom. I guess I should add, currently I mash in a cooler. I wouldn't have an immediate need for the spigot or thermometer really for the time being, but it would offer flexibility in the future.

Back