Do These Ingredients make a "Bock" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Just kind of wondering what style of beer this might be close to ?

Malt:
11.5# Light Munich ( 10L )
.5# CaraPils-Dextrine

Hops:
1/2 oz Magnum ( 14%AA )
1/4 oz Hallertau & 1/4 oz Tettanger at 20 minutes ( 4.5% AA )

Yeast:
Some kind of Lager yeast - not particular

I made pretty much the same beer a couple of times last spring, only I used Nugget instead of Magnum because someone gave me some for free, and I only used Hallertau instead of Hallertau and Tettanger because I didn't realize I liked that combination last year. Oh and also because someone gave me some Hallertaus for free.

Just kind of curious what you guys think of this beer ? When I made it last year I used WLP810 both times because I wasn't sure I could keep it cold enough, this time I think I'm going to use W34-70 because I have plenty of it and I'm confident I can ferment cool enough - plus I really like how that yeast has done the last few beers I made with it.

I was just kind of wondering what style of beer this might be ? When I made it last spring I ended up with about 1.072 both times - I figure approximately 85% efficiency.

I'm probably going to make this beer this weekend, it will be the first time I've made it in nearly a year and also it will be the first time I've made it since I started kegging beer.

Last years beer with the Nugget for bittering, was really bitter on the first taste but then the malty Munich settled in on the tounge and left a little of the Hallertau on the taste buds. Really was a wonderful beer and I'm hoping to do even better this year since I can control my temps better and lager and keg correctly now.

Any comments on this "style" of beer if it even has one, or suggetions would be welcome.

try adding a little bit of the darkest caramel malt you can find- it might be special B, caramel 120, or, if you're lucky, a german crystal 200 malt

Made of munich malt? Munich dunkel! A bit too light though...

Yeah this beer comes out sort of "orange" in color. Not quite as orange as a new penny but close.

Yep, a bit light. You might want to swap out some of the Munich with some Vienna, though that still won't raise you color up any. Also consider a decoction mash. You'll be amazed at what that'll do for authenticity.
Also, bocks generally only have Hallertauer hops in them, so if you're going for the real thing, you might want to change up your hops a bit.

Well I'm really not so much trying to duplicate a style as just wondering what style of beer this would be similar too. And I was kind of hoping that it was near a bock or dopplebock because I want to brew this this weekend and set it back to lager till next fall and tap it for the Alabama/Florida football game. Oh and the reason I was sort of hoping it was near a dopplebock was because I was going to work the "ator" into the name like "GatorHator" or something... So I was just kind of wondering if I would be terrible stretching the truth to call this beer a bock or dopple bock.

And aside from that I was just wondering what people thought might improve it.

I will probably try a version later with just the Hallertau in it, but I'm really liking how the Hallertau/Tettanger combination works in my beers lately so I think I will stick with that for this weekend. Plus I have tettanger that needs to be used up before it goes bad ;)

What would swapping some of the Light Munich for Vienna do for the beer ? I really love how the Munich tastes, what would the Vienna add -- just some complexity ? In my previous beers where I mixed Light Munich and Vienna the Munich tended to overwhelm the Vienna anyway.

try adding a little bit of the darkest caramel malt you can find- it might be special B, caramel 120, or, if you're lucky, a german crystal 200 malt

I have a doppelbock brewed with some Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal (~155L) that is lagering. The last sample I pulled was excellent.

I'd call it a strong Octoberfest. It makes it into the high end of the color range. With 75% efficiency , it's about 8 points above the top end of the gravity range.

The other option is to call it a Bock. The 1.064 gravity with 75% efficiency just falls into the bock range, but the color is right in between that of a traditional bock & a helles bock.

Between those two options, I'd go with the Octoberfest option. I just think it matches my Octoberfest category better.

Back