Salty Dog Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob869007

Mmmmm Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafAle US-05
Yeast Starter
Not Required
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Not Required
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 Days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10 Days dry hop
Additional Fermentation
Not Required
Tasting Notes
Very Smooth. Nice citrus hop finish. Excellent aroma.
6 Lbs Pale Malt
2.5 Lbs Munich Malt
.4 Lb Crystal 20
.25 Lb Victory Malt

.75 Oz Magnum 14.2 AAU, IBU 35.6 (60 Minutes)
1 Oz Centennial (Dry Hop)
1 Oz Centennial, 9 AAU, IBU 18.2 (20 Minutes)
1 Oz Centennial, 9 AAU, IBU 6 (5 Minutes)

SafAle US-05 pitched straight in to primary

My brew house efficiency is 81% so you may have to adjust the grain bill for your brewing efficiency. Don't let the total IBU scare you. This beer is very good.

I mash in 12.5 quarts of 5.4 ph water to achieve a mash at 154 degrees. BeerSmith does my calculations for mash in temperature. Mash until a full conversion occurs. This usually takes 80-85 minutes.

I fly sparge with enough water to achieve an 8 gallon boil. This seems to be the right amount of wort for the boil based on the evaporation amount in the area I live in plus the absorbtion of wort that the whole hops drinks up. I get exactly 5.5 gallons of wort in my primary.

After 21 days dry hop using your normal methods

I developed this from another recipe that I had. I like the hop flavor that the centennial gives. It's got a nice balanced malt profile. The citrus flavor that the centennial provides along with the Munich and Victory malts give this beer an excellent flavor that masks the bitterness quite well. If you like Mirror Pond Pale Ale you'll like this beer. This has more flavor than Mirror Pond. I prefer drier hoppier beers. This one is exactly what I was after. I just made my third batch of this yesterday. I kegged and forced carbed a fresh keg and the flavor is excellent. I hope you enjoy it.

Back