Damn, Puterbaugh needs a new scale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I ordered 1 lb each of EKG, Cascade and Northern Brewer a long, long time ago. I foodsave and freeze them, so they stay fresh for a long time. When I got the bags, I figured it was a pound each...never bothered to measure.

So here I am...my inventory says that I should be out of all three, but I have 8, 12, and 13oz in my freezer. They effectively doubled my order, as the NB "ran out" a long time ago. I ordered more bulk hops last week...let's hope they're still as generous given the paltry hop harvest...

Isn't hops direct and Puterbaugh the same thing?

I ordered 5lb through a local-ish shop...they just called me to say it'd be another week and asked if I still wanted to order from them...nice folks but I'm going to order from Puterbaugh/hopsdirect

EDIT: F that! This local-ish shop doesn't seem to keep up with price increases....I'll just wait and save the $$$

Well, I just got my shipment. Ordered 1 lb each of Cascade, Willamette and Galena.

Recieved:

• 1lb 12oz Galena
  • 1lb 10oz Willamette
  • 1lb 9oz Cascade

I guess they haven't fixed their scale yet :p

:ban:

I just wish I had the space to store pounds of hops...it just seems like the brews I make are all over the place as far as hop usage and with roomates, I don't have space for 5# of hops in my freezer...

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I just wish I had the space to store pounds of hops...it just seems like the brews I make are all over the place as far as hop usage and with roomates, I don't have space for 5# of hops in my freezer...

I hear you. We've got 2 chest freezers. One is my lagerator, and the area above the compressor is perfect for storing hops. Also, unless you brew every other week, you really need a foodsaver to keep them fresh for long enough to get through that much hops. I keep all my hops foodsaved and in the freezer. And they keep REALLY well. No light, heat or air to react with.

Evan! said:
I hear you. We've got 2 chest freezers. One is my lagerator, and the area above the compressor is perfect for storing hops. Also, unless you brew every other week, you really need a foodsaver to keep them fresh for long enough to get through that much hops. I keep all my hops foodsaved and in the freezer. And they keep REALLY well. No light, heat or air to react with.

The question is where is the break-even point for buying hops in bulk and a foodsaver and bags vs. buying a couple oz of hops at a time? I am also really liking pellet hops these days..

ColoradoXJ13 said:
The question is where is the break-even point for buying hops in bulk and a foodsaver and bags vs. buying a couple oz of hops at a time? I am also really liking pellet hops these days..

Given how many times I'm able to re-use the bags, and the fact that I get them for relatively cheap at Sam's Club, and given that I had an extra foodsaver in the basement gathering dust (my uncle is the on-air "personality" who hawks them at QVC and on infomercials), I'd say that the average bag costs a few cents. Those rolls go a really long way.

And I've all but forsaken pellet hops as of late. If I really need a particular hop variety and nobody has it or a close substitute in whole form, THEN I'll resort to pellets. But I send my wort through my SS MLT, then through a strainer-funnel. The false bottom on the MLT catches the whole hops, which then act a s a filter bed for some of the other break solids...and this makes straining into the carboy 10 times faster than if I were using pellet hops. So I really prefer whole hops for this reason alone...I guess I could switch my tactics and see how whirlpooling might work, but I like my method.

Back