Cheerio Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyanC10

Reaction score
My next recipe is going to be a blonde ale. I'd really like to use cheerios as part of my grain profile. However, i'm a bit paranoid about tannins these days (i've had a few batches which seem to have severe tannin issues). I'd like to know the best way to use the cheerios in the recipe. Should I steep them with my grains? I'm worried that they will just dissolve through the grain sack, and then when I crank up the heat for the boil, I wonder if i'll face tannin issues. Or, should I just use some when I transfer into the secondary?

I have 3 kids, I can tell you that these things either last forever or turn into the most god awful slurry of mush you'll ever see. I wouldn't recomend using them in the secondary unless you want them to first swell into a massive cheerio paste and then dissolve into a bottom sludge, the like you've never seen. I can't imagine they'll offer any benefit since everything will be cooked out of them in the cereal process. Just use Flaked oats.

What is your goal with adding the Cheerios? Need to know that before we can offer suggestions. I sort of agree with Mash that you'll get a cooked Cheerio sludge and not much flavor.

Sounds like you're just steeping grains and not doing a mini-mash, right? I'm guessing you could get away with cheerios in the mash, but without being converted, I think you'll just end up adding a bunch of starch to your beer.

Hey guys. Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm interested in trying this, because i've had a few beers which had a distinct cheerio tone, and I found that I really enjoyed it (Goose Island green line, and Dab). So i'd like to crank up that tone in my batch. I suppose I could use flaked oats in my grain profile.

I'm purely steeping. I have a pretty basic setup and process.

Any recommendations on a yeast that would help to give a grainy flavor?

Back