Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Star Wars is substantially better in my opinion. The original trilogy at least. This video sums up how I feel about the newest 3.

Star Trek has always been too thick with schlocky corniness for me to really enjoy, and it only got worse with subsequent series. Ok so Star Trek does have the cuter girls. I will give it that. But that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
snyklez said:
Enterprise was great, so was voyager. Picard was definitely the best captain. I also like that Patrick Stewart still voices a lot of animated characters. In fact I watched the latest episode of futurama and I believe he was the voice of the fox-hunt foreman.
Didn't even notice. I recognized the judge's voice but I'm not sure from what.

TyTanium said:
Star Wars all the way.

I mean, come on:
Lightsaber vs. Phaser?
The Force vs Spock grip & mind melds?
Jedi robes vs 80's spandex?
Harrison Ford vs Shatner?
Jar Jar vs...ok, Trekkies got that one

We got death star...we'll blow your planet up. Plus Yoda. And Calrissian...Colt 45 malt liquor, works every time...
Yes, this is exactly why I found Star Wars to be far superior when I was a teenager. Everything is just made to be "cooler". And that's about it.

But I just don't see how (adult) serious sci-fi fans would ever pick Star Wars over Star Trek. The themes the latter explores are really what classic science fiction is all about.

I'm surprised Voyager gets so little love though. Some of the episodes were among the best I've ever seen on TV.

Guilty pleasure? Stargate SG-1 :D

All the nerdiness in this thread takes away whatever cool points we had as brewers...lol

I prefer SG 1 over trek or wars. Got a bit worse with Atlantis and sgu sucked balls trying to be like bsg. But if you want classic scifi it's gotta be doctor who

bottlebomber said:
Geek! Geek.

Favorite movie Serenity?

The series was better. But I don't consider Firefly a guilty pleasure... it was a good show!

Erroneous said:
I prefer SG 1 over trek or wars. Got a bit worse with Atlantis and sgu sucked balls trying to be like bsg. But if you want classic scifi it's gotta be doctor who

Yeah, I agree that the other Stargate series were nowhere near as good.

Although I did like the last few seasons of Atlantis better than The last few of SG 1. Once you change the cast all around it's hard to keep the same good feel. I still don't like Matt Smith as the doctor and his companions just bore me now.

Firefly was amazing, as was doll house. To get back to the topic though, I agree voyager was good, as was DS9 but didn't much care for enterprise. Maybe I just didn't watch enough. Never could get over steering away from classic star trek melody for that crappy song.

Well when you start adding in all the other sci-fi shows Firefly takes the cake.

I'll still stand by trek over wars though. Trek just also added so much for technology as well. Think of everything trek had that wasn't invented yet, from automatically opening sliding doors to an MRI machine. Stuff wasn't even thought of yet.

Well when you start adding in all the other sci-fi shows Firefly takes the cake.

I'll still stand by trek over wars though. Trek just also added so much for technology as well. Think of everything trek had that wasn't invented yet, from automatically opening sliding doors to an MRI machine. Stuff wasn't even thought of yet.
in real life, the sliding oor was around before star trek.
H.G. Wells was a tad ahead of the Horton's AND star trek...
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?bnum=763

and that site is a great way to waste time!
:mug:
totally agree on firefly too!

Still haven't played the third one yet, but the first two were awesome. Bioware's Dragon Age is damn good too, and certainly better than the Elder Scrolls games...

emjay said:
Still haven't played the third one yet, but the first two were awesome. Bioware's Dragon Age is damn good too, and certainly better than the Elder Scrolls games...

I haven't played the 3rd yet either, I'm holding out for the winter when it's cold and rainy, because I know how good it is. I haven't played Dragon Age, but I remember seeing the GI write-up on it. I actually wasn't the hugest fan of Skyrim, the whole experience was too detached, cold and impersonal.

Bioware makes some awesome games. Bringing it back to star wars with kotor, the first one being the great star wars game I've ever played.

I haven't played the 3rd yet either, I'm holding out for the winter when it's cold and rainy, because I know how good it is. I haven't played Dragon Age, but I remember seeing the GI write-up on it. I actually wasn't the hugest fan of Skyrim, the whole experience was too detached, cold and impersonal.

Your self control for waiting is a lot greater than mine. The whole reason I started playing the trilogy was seeing the launch trailer for ME3. As in this one:

[ame="http://youtu.be/AluTOOCVXVQ"]http://youtu.be/AluTOOCVXVQ[/ame]

And since that moment way too many hours of my life have been spent playing that game.

But to actually answer the original question: Star Wars all the way. Not just because I like the movies more, but because of how many awesome games have come from the series. KOTOR, Battlefront, Empire at War, and Force Unleashed are all pretty awesome in my books.

Ah I miss video games. I actually played some MW3 tonight, first time in two months. That's the only game I've played this year. Was there ever a really great trek or star wars game?

The Super Nintendo Star Wars games were really fun (one for each of the original trilogy).
N64 Shadows of the Empire was fun, and Rogue Squadron was a blast.
There was a PC game for Phantom Menace that was really fun, an RPG type.

But my favorite thus far has been Battlefront - the first one was good, and the 2nd one was epic. Play as Obi Wan / Anakin / Vader / Yoda / Darth Maul / Mace Windu? Yes. yes.

I played ~30mins of the new Star Wars MMO The Old Republic, and was bored out of my mind. Major bummer.

Those old super NES Star Wars games were hard. There was no saving and there was a lot of tricky jumping and timing to do, so it was just a question of how far you could get before you died and were too frustrated to pick it up for awhile. I think maybe it gave you some continues, but they were very finite.

TyTanium said:
The Super Nintendo Star Wars games were really fun (one for each of the original trilogy).
N64 Shadows of the Empire was fun, and Rogue Squadron was a blast.
There was a PC game for Phantom Menace that was really fun, an RPG type.

But my favorite thus far has been Battlefront - the first one was good, and the 2nd one was epic. Play as Obi Wan / Anakin / Vader / Yoda / Darth Maul / Mace Windu? Yes. yes.

I played ~30mins of the new Star Wars MMO The Old Republic, and was bored out of my mind. Major bummer.

I had a lot of fun playing Jedi Knight 2 with friends in high school. Epic lightsaber battles made even more epic by turning cheats on, on the server, allowing me to give myself a Darth Maul-style double-sided saber, when nobody else knew how :D

snyklez said:
...Was there ever a really great trek or star wars game?

For trek not really. I played 2: bridge commander and that one fps from the end of voyager. Don't remember what it was called. And if you want to give star trek online a try I think it's free right now.

For star wars though, TIE fighter, x wing, x wing alliance, rogue squadron were all really good. I've heard good things about the Jedi knight series. KotOR was awesome, and the mmo is good. And yeah many of the snes and n64 games were great. Basically if it says star wars in the name it is a 50/50 chance of either being awesome or crap.

*edit: same goes for star wars movies. Go figure.

TNG for sure.
This thread got me thinking about science fiction, in my late teens I totally got in to science fiction books, The Martian Chronicles, anything by Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke. I couldn't get enough. And that of course, reminded me of the time I, and some friends went to see the movie 2001 Space Odyssey, that had just came out.
So I got some friends together (I was 20) for the trek to Los Angeles from the suburbs. My younger brother (18) volunteered to drive (borrowed Mom's car). Then on the Friday night of the trip downtown (30 miles) younger brother talked the other 3 of us to try acid, he assured us that it was safe, he'd been doing it for a year, so we nervously agreed. OMG, what a night :eek:
Funny when you think about how long ago that was, and that I'm still sane :drunk: More or less:D

husker said:
I chose a girlfriend

If your woman can't appreciate geek you didn't do it right. My lady plays more games than me. She got me into the new Battlestar, for example. You don't need to choose between the things you like and a companion.

bottlebomber said:
You don't need to choose between the things you like and a companion.

More importantly, what good is a companion that doesn't let you be yourself?

And people wonder why divorce rates have skyrocketed...

emjay said:
More importantly, what good is a companion that doesn't let you be yourself?

And people wonder why divorce rates have skyrocketed...

Exactly... Because people rush into relationships without considering compatibility, and before you know it she's thrown away your mint Star Wars figurine collection and you can't make it to the courthouse fast enough. If there was one thing a bad marriage taught me it was that it's better to be happily single than miserably married. There's been some kind of message sent from society that if you're not in a relationship that something's wrong with you, and I don't agree with it. Rant over.

CBXBob said:
TNG for sure.
This thread got me thinking about science fiction, in my late teens I totally got in to science fiction books, The Martian Chronicles, anything by Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke. I couldn't get enough. And that of course, reminded me of the time I, and some friends went to see the movie 2001 Space Odyssey, that had just came out.
So I got some friends together (I was 20) for the trek to Los Angeles from the suburbs. My younger brother (18) volunteered to drive (borrowed Mom's car). Then on the Friday night of the trip downtown (30 miles) younger brother talked the other 3 of us to try acid, he assured us that it was safe, he'd been doing it for a year, so we nervously agreed. OMG, what a night :eek:
Funny when you think about how long ago that was, and that I'm still sane :drunk: More or less:D

Man I bet those are fond memories. I've never read a whole lot of the sci-fi genre, just a few books here and there. Unless you count the Dark Tower series as sci-fi, in which case, I couldn't put those books down. I used to work at a bookstore though and was amazed by the number of books based on both star wars and star trek. There are tons of novelizations, series and short stories based on those originals.

I also agree that you've got to find someone out there to share, or at least understand, the things that you're into. Being a geek and finding a GF/spouse are not mutually exclusive. My wife couldn't care less about star trek, and quite frankly I think bachelor pad is one of the worst shows in the history of tv. But if she likes it, no biggie.

snyklez said:
So which enemy is worse, the Empire or the Borg?

Borg for sure. At least the Empire will just end you.

And even looking at the other shows mentioned in this thread - the Reavers in Firefly, and the Replicators in Stargate - are worse than the Empire. The Empire is, well, "just" an Empire.

Trek. I'm an original series fan, and found this in my local homebrew shop!

image-3374991808.jpg

Back