GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I watched The Act of Killing.

It's a documentary where they got these guys who were responsible for over a million of people in Indonesia in the 60's to create their own little reenactments of all the horrendous tortures, rapes, and mass murders they committed back in "the good old' days".

It's a documentary where they got these guys who were responsible for over a million of people in Indonesia in the 60's to create their own little reenactments of all the horrendous tortures, rapes, and mass murders they committed back in "the good old' days".

Was it as creepy/freaky/weird as it sounds? I contemplated watching this one night after a couple beers and thought "oh man, I don't know if I feel like my world melting around me tonight".

It is almost metaphysical in some places.

They are literally acting out stuff they did to their victims, in some cases playing themselves, and in others playing their victims.

In between there are points where they reminisce about it like it was their high school prom, or alternately talk about how horrible it is while still rationalizing it to themselves.

Was it as creepy/freaky/weird as it sounds? I contemplated watching this one night after a couple beers and thought "oh man, I don't know if I feel like my world melting around me tonight".

It is almost metaphysical in some places.

They are literally acting out stuff they did to their victims, in some cases playing themselves, and in others playing their victims.

In between there are points where they reminisce about it like it was their high school prom, or alternately talk about how horrible it is while still rationalizing it to themselves.

Short answer - Yes.

Um.. dafuq?

Gilmore Girls.... There, it's been said; let the ridicule begin.

This show is horrible in so many ways. but really the thing that annoys me the most is the horrible acting in it. My wife used to watch this show and would annoy me when it was on the tv.

we just watched Iliza Shlesinger, she was pretty funny

if you liked 30 Rock (1st couple seasons) then you'll like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. bonus that Ellie Kemper is just freaking adorable

right now, we're watching Bloodline. slow moving, but very interesting characters, outstanding acting, good story and holyeffingsh*t, I want the soundtrack

over on Yahoo TV, the final season of Community is very disappointing. there are some funny parts, but mostly MEH.

we just watched Iliza Shlesinger, she was pretty funny

if you liked 30 Rock (1st couple seasons) then you'll like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. bonus that Ellie Kemper is just freaking adorable

right now, we're watching Bloodline. slow moving, but very interesting characters, outstanding acting, good story and holyeffingsh*t, I want the soundtrack

over on Yahoo TV, the final season of Community is very disappointing. there are some funny parts, but mostly MEH.

SWMBO has already basically said I'm not allowed to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt even though it sounds like a super funny ass show (because aformentioned adorableness).

How could the mess up the final season of community? Have a Dungeons and Dragons episode, then the rest of the season you have Alison Brie in low cut tops being hot as hell, sucess!

How could the mess up the final season of community?

#1 - too much Chang. I really don't see any appeal for Ken Jeong. One scene from one Hangover movie was overexposure in both literal and figurative sense
#2 - no Troy, so no Troy & Abed in the Morning or any other Troy & Abed hijinks
#3 - Abed is toned down considerably
#4 - any amount of Chang is too much Chang

Have a Dungeons and Dragons episode,

not yet. the only episode which even comes close is when they take a 30 second video of Chang and try and stretch it into a full-length feature.

not even a single reference to Inspector Spacetime

then the rest of the season you have Alison Brie in low cut tops being hot as hell, sucess!

none yet, but Paget Brewster makes an nice added attraction.

I'm diggin' Marvel's new Daredevil. It is expertly filmed. The fight scenes in Daredevil are actually very real, fluid, and organic, unlike most other films where the people never get tired/winded and you don't really see/feel the action because it's at lightning pace.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B66feInucFY[/ame]

#1 - too much Chang. I really don't see any appeal for Ken Jeong. One scene from one Hangover movie was overexposure in both literal and figurative sense

not yet. the only episode which even comes close is when they take a 30 second video of Chang and try and stretch it into a full-length feature.

So, no sign of Annie's Boobs?

I am ambivalent on Chang, sometimes he's funny, like when he was wearing full black make up to be a dark elf, though that was a DnD episode so it was basically automatically going to be a great episode regardless of how much Chang there was. SWMBO finds 99% of his scenes really annoying though.

Also, another hot brunette is exactly what the show needed. (I must keep this a secret from SWMBO as she knows of my afflicition for brunettes, which I don't know why SWMBO would have a problem with this as she is blond but I am still with her)

haven't finished it, we have two episodes left, but I really can't recommend Bloodline enough.

great cast, but the one guy I hadn't heard of before is really freaking outstanding. you'll be seeing more of Ben Mendelsohn. he deserves all the awards. even technical ones. just give them to him

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Rectify, but it's not for everyone.

yes, good call.

see a lot of Rectify in Bloodline (sort of the same setup; prodigal son returns home, stirring up the family/hometown secrets). kind of slow moving, but when the story, writing and the acting are this good, you get caught up in the characters. the tension starts ratcheting up and you don't notice it until the end of an episode when the credits roll.

I have been working my way through 1001 Movies to See Before You Die. I have so far seen somewhere over 430 of the films listed in the book. Several of them are available for streaming on Netflix. Aside from The Act of Killing, I've recently watched the following on Netflix, most of which are worth watching IMO, but with some caveats:

All About Eve
High Noon
Chinatown
An Affair to Remember
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (IMO better than Some Like it Hot, except for Tony Curtis' amazing imitation of Cary Grant in the latter)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Shane
Annie Hall
Heavenly Creatures
Marty (this was "meh" IMO)
Fantasia
Metropolis Restored
The Battleship Potempkin (historically interesting, otherwise kinda "meh")
The Quiet Man
The Apartment
Nebraska
Sherlock Jr (Buster Keaton is amazing in this IMO)
Sunset Blvd
The English Patient (you have to like "epic" films with slow pacing to enjoy this)
Nosferatu
L'Age D'Or (this is "experimental" and best viewed while inebriated and/or tripping on acid)
Night of the Living Dead
The Bicycle Thief
Smoke
Black Sunday (crazy Italian horror B movie)
Tsotsi
The General
Four Weddings and a Funeral (I really dislike both Andie Macdowell and Hugh Grant, so tough one for me to sit through)
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover (this was a crazy #$#@# movie)
A Star is Born
Steamboat Bill Jr. (this contains the famous scene where Buster Keaton is nearly killed by a falling wall)
Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer (a.k.a. Monster: the Documentary)
The Kid with a Bike
David Holzman's Diary (Filmed cinema verite style, but isn't really since it's just actors pretending. Essentially the introduction of cinema verite as an art form. Otherwise, not really worth seeing.)
Cinema Paradiso
Funny Games (this is totally worth seeing if you like films like Saw)
Man with a Movie Camera (more of a montage of different film techniques than anything else)
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (AMAZING documentary about these caves in France with prehistoric art)

Just in case anyone has missed it. Bill Nye The Science Guy has been added to Netflix, which is basically the best thing to happen this year.

Just in case anyone has missed it. Bill Nye The Science Guy has been added to Netflix, which is basically the best thing to happen this year.

I wish they had Mr. Wizard also. He did some awesome experiments...
Living with Ed is ok as well. His neighbor is bill nye and they are kind of friends/geeks

anyone watching Yahoo Screen's "Other Space" ?

Yep. Great low budget comedy. It's got "Lily" from the ATT commercials (Milana Vayntrub).

We binged the first season. Playback on the Roku 3 was problematic. Often right after cutting form one scene to another the video would go black or scrambled and I'd have to jump forward, then back again to get it to clear up. Sometimes took a few tries.

But pretty funny show. I loved hearing the the robot voice and seeing Zalian. Reminded me of MST3K.

Just finished Halt and Catch Fire. AMC series based in early 80s about the first company to build an IBM-compatible. Really fun to reminisce about the tech scene back then.

Watched Sucker Punch with the kid couple of nights ago. Great fun movie. Kind of creepy with a bunch of action scenes.

Started watching Empire Strikes Back Rifftrax edition last night. Good stuff. Not on Netflix. Probably have to look around online to find that one... ;

Longmire rules. Too bad it got cancelled because people would rather watch yet another political drama instead

Back