Wood-Aged Beer Pirate Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew day went smoothly. OG ended up at 1.070, so about 18ish points from what the recipe is supposed to come to. I dont have a large enough kettle yet for full volume batches, so I mashed with 3.5 gal, sparged with another .5 gal, and then topped up to 5 gal when throwing it in the fermenter. I am wondering if I didn't mix the top up water in well enough when I took the reading? I've noticed that with extract batches quite a bit. Hopefully that's it and it will end up being full strength like the recipe suggests. Oak chips are now soaking in some Kill Devil Pecan Rum from Outer Banks Distilling.

Did you mash or steep? The extract should have been a 100% win on final gravity based on my experience. This would be a LOT of grain in a 3.5 gal of water mash. .5 gal, I don't think, would have pulled all your available sugars out. Also, this batch with extract is just as awesome. Pecan rum really sounds awesome!

Did you mash or steep? The extract should have been a 100% win on final gravity based on my experience. This would be a LOT of grain in a 3.5 gal of water mash. .5 gal, I don't think, would have pulled all your available sugars out. Also, this batch with extract is just as awesome. Pecan rum really sounds awesome!
I mashed the 6.5# of grain in the 3.5 gal of water for 60 min based on Brewfather. Added the DME after and brought to a boil. May go all DME next time for simplicity since I don't have a pot big enough for full volume. Still excited to see how it comes out.

Did you mash or steep? The extract should have been a 100% win on final gravity based on my experience. ... Also, this batch with extract is just as awesome.

When going for an extract version, do you mini-mash the cara-aroma and torrified wheat?

Look back at the very first post. It was originally posted as an extract brew.

It looks like the original had 5 lb of 2-row? I thought the "extract version" had NO base malt. I didn't realize that malt was just there to convert the other malts!

I think I'll be making some for Xmas gifts this year, quite excited.

ALSO! Isn't Galena an aroma hop, only used for late additions and dry hopping? Why is it boiled for 60 min?

Last edited:
I’d defer to @j1laskey as it is his beer. This is the only recipe I’ve come across that uses Galena, so I’m not certain.

Although it may be a multipurpose one, based on some of the substitutes for Galena, seems like it is more commonly used as a bittering hop,

/shrug

If it works, it works! EDIT: But I've ONLY seen it listed as an aroma hop, not even dual purpose!

Huh, other sources say it's DEFINITELY a bittering hop. Weird, but whatever! I was going to use galena regardless...

Last edited:
I usually go off of whatever hopslist or YVH descriptions say. Me thinks another bud light hop experiment might be in order personally.

@j1laskey Question about wlp060. Just wondering if that is still your yeast of choice for this beer. I’ve only very recently started using liquid yeast so have only used US-05 for the two batches of this that I’ve done.

I usually go off of whatever hopslist or YVH descriptions say. Me thinks another bud light hop experiment might be in order personally.

@j1laskey Question about wlp060. Just wondering if that is still your yeast of choice for this beer. I’ve only very recently started using liquid yeast so have only used US-05 for the two batches of this that I’ve done.
The last few batches I've made of this I have been using WLP090. San Diego Super Yeast.

Brewed this Saturday. I've been sitting on the grains for at least a month, just couldn't find time to do it. Something fell through, so I found myself sitting at the kitchen table around 9 and said...oh dang. I guess I can brew now. Didn't finish cleaning equipment until 4 in the afternoon, the draining just took forever....pitched yeast around 630.

Had to use canned pineapple, which I upped to around 14 oz vs. 10. Soaked some medium toasted French oak chips in water for a hour, drained, then put into a bag with 2 split open vanilla beans which I also cut into smaller pieces, a couple of glass marbles and covered with Zaya rum.

If this had been planned, I would have used WLP001, but..it wasn't. So I threw in 2 packets of US-05. Briefly considered using S-04, or doing one of each with idea that esters might be desirable but decided against it. Was bubbling gently yesterday morning, then activity just went into turbo mode yesterday evening. Purged a 5G keg of Star San in about 2 hours.

Last edited:
I'm bottling my first batch for Xmas: it's the first brew I've made and designed vinyl labels for! Sorry for the bad photo quality, but they all have one metallic gold tooth. My picnic tap broke after the first tiny pour from the keg, but it seems good!

Vaguely wish I added more hops, but since I don't have a wort chiller, I generally tend to back off IBUs to be safe. I also added about 5-10oz pineapple juice, which comes through nicely.
IMG_20211217_164109022~2.jpg

and....I just realized that I put in 1 lb of CaraAroma vs. 1/2. Put the whole bag into the grain mill vs. measuring it out. Dang it.

3rd time making this...I just can't seem to not mess it up at some level or another.
I think we all have that one recipe where consistency means always messing it up...my recipe is called All Jacked Up as something always goes wrong (usually me - it's a FW Double Jack clone and I have never made it right yet. But it always turns out great!) So maybe this is your beer. FWIW, this would be a forgiving beer for that to happen. Let us know how it turns out

Followed the original recipe in early November, except swapped out hop to warrior and used some captain morgan rum as that's all I have here. Made on a robobrew system and ended up with a 7.2% brew. Just opened the first one after bottling two weeks ago, and although would benefit from a bit more bottle conditioning time, the oak and pineapple are there and already a decent mix. Thanks for posting this recipe - have a full 5+ gallons bottled and labeled.

I think we all have that one recipe where consistency means always messing it up...my recipe is called All Jacked Up as something always goes wrong (usually me - it's a FW Double Jack clone and I have never made it right yet. But it always turns out great!) So maybe this is your beer. FWIW, this would be a forgiving beer for that to happen. Let us know how it turns out

So on point with this. It is indeed my “Chasing Neverland” brew. Racked it today..which just didn’t go smoothly. Ended up having to use CO2 to actually keep it going..which was frustrating which led to forgetting to grab a sample for check ABV, as well as (more importantly) taste.

Tilt measured at 10.1%, it is carbonating low and slow so I’ll report back in about a month or so.

Going to be brewing this soon. I have made brews where I soaked oak chips in booze but I have always added the chips plus the booze to the fermenter. It seems most brewers are adding just the rum soaked chips and saving the rum for another use. Has anyone added some of the rum to the fermenter? I was thinking of adding 1-2 ounces. The plan is to bottle condition for at least a month.

Going to be brewing this soon. I have made brews where I soaked oak chips in booze but I have always added the chips plus the booze to the fermenter. It seems most brewers are adding just the rum soaked chips and saving the rum for another use. Has anyone added some of the rum to the fermenter? I was thinking of adding 1-2 ounces. The plan is to bottle condition for at least a month.

I didn't for our last batch but likely will try that route next as you can easily titrate how much rum/oak taste you add to the batch by adding the rum itself.
Just had one of the last few bottles this last weekend and it holds up really well. Pineapple fades but melds together nicely at just over a year of bottle aging.

I'd say taste the rum first. The level of oak in that will be pretty substantial. I just save mine and oak the next batch of chips/cubes. I think I've gotten 4-6 total batches using that rum over and over.

I’ve had my eye on this recipe for awhile.

Just a couple easy questions:

End of boil remove pineapple pieces and cinnamon stick.

I’m guessing you are putting the pineapple pieces and cinnamon stick in a grain bag or something to be able to easily pull them out? It always seems like you have to use a little more when you do that.

Bottle/Keg After 7-10 of secondary transfer to bottles or keg. I keg and this beer is very very very drinkable after a week of carbonation.

There’s a word missing - is that 7-10 weeks of secondary? Or 7-10 days? This is how long you are sitting on the oak and vanilla bean.

Thanks

Funny. Haven’t been in the site in awhile, log in and see that somebody liked one of my posts in this thread.

I don’t drink this beer very often, but happen to be doing so right now..at this very moment.

I’ve had my eye on this recipe for awhile.

Just a couple easy questions:

End of boil remove pineapple pieces and cinnamon stick.

I’m guessing you are putting the pineapple pieces and cinnamon stick in a grain bag or something to be able to easily pull them out? It always seems like you have to use a little more when you do that.

Bottle/Keg After 7-10 of secondary transfer to bottles or keg. I keg and this beer is very very very drinkable after a week of carbonation.

There’s a word missing - is that 7-10 weeks of secondary? Or 7-10 days? This is how long you are sitting on the oak and vanilla bean.

Thanks

7-10 days

I'm gonna brew this sometime before the end of the year.
I just made an online order and dropped a pack of expired WLP051 for 0.85€ in the basket.
I thought it was what the OP used but now see it was WLP060.
Hopefully the attenuation of WLP051 will not be too low but I can still use US-05 instead.
Looking at the malt bill I have everything and and some grains are getting old (caraaroma & torrefied wheat) and need to be used so the perfect recipe for that.
Will post back within the next 6 months ;)

@j1laskey first, your recipe remains one of my favorite beers and I still make at least once a year. At the NC Homebre Invitational and look what I just stumbled on :) View attachment 832080
That was my take in this recipe. I take kegs out to Pantherfanz tailgates.

http://www.pantherfanz.net/
A couple years ago I started bringing beers out to Pantherfanz tailgates. One of the founders liked a beer I brought so much he asked me where he could buy it. I named it Dano's Destruction after him and bring it every year.

I then started looking for a beer to name after Joe who is also a founding member. Having brewed this many times over the years it fits his personality perfectly. This batch has Capt Morgan in the oak chips and was pressure fermented in a corny keg.

Thanks for the recipe. Nice to meet you pwortiz. It also placed 3rd at Hoptoberfest Comp entered as a spice fruit beer last week.

That was my take in this recipe. I take kegs out to Pantherfanz tailgates.

http://www.pantherfanz.net/
A couple years ago I started bringing beers out to Pantherfanz tailgates. One of the founders liked a beer I brought so much he asked me where he could buy it. I named it Dano's Destruction after him and bring it every year.

I then started looking for a beer to name after Joe who is also a founding member. Having brewed this many times over the years it fits his personality perfectly. This batch has Capt Morgan in the oak chips and was pressure fermented in a corny keg.

Thanks for the recipe. Nice to meet you pwortiz. It also placed 3rd at Hoptoberfest Comp entered as a spice fruit beer last week.
Was great to see this out there in public! I don't think you know how excited I was lol or maybe you picked up on it 🤣 Prost, smokewater! Maybe I will bring my version next year...

About to keg half and bottle half of my second batch of the PSA. I went all-grain except for 1.5 lb of DME and a lb of brown sugar. Used 2 packs Mangrove Jacks New World Strong Ale M42. Soaked oak chips in Sailor Jerry's + a vanilla bean for 6 weeks. Added 2 more vanilla beans in the secondary with the oak chips. (First attempt had very little vanilla. Trying to fix that). 9.5%. Plan to condition this until Christmas or so. It is going to kick massive buttocks.

Last edited:
Just brewed up another batch of this a couple of days ago. Used a whole pineapple rather than weigh it out this time. Had a fireball cider in the pineapple mug. Felt quite tropical for a 35f morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20240116_134529767.jpg
    IMG_20240116_134529767.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 0
Back