Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet in KY you'll have better luck than in Minnesota. I think the aging is the tricky part. I'm looking into it. I'll probably have to wait till June for our effing snow to melt.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Yeah, springtime is trying to break through. It was high 60's a few days a, low 20's a couple days ago, 35 this morning, and calling for a high of 70 Friday. Could be snow Friday for all I know. The weather man has been 10 degrees off the last two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. On Ebay tins of tobacco are sold with disclaimers that state the tobacco is not meant to be smoked, that they are selling the tins for the collection value. It seems to be a way to work around ATF rules. I probably wouldn't smoke the antique tobacco, but the newer aged stuff, why not.

I've seen that on eBay. I figured it was just someone scheming to make a buck by generating "nostalgia" in an auction listing. If the price is right, couldn't hurt to try it.

cluckk

I think you've intrigued me with the Presbyterian mix. Going to order a tin soon. BTW, do you smoke it in a churchwarden by chance?

Fuuny. I do have a churchwarden in rotation. It has a smaller bowl though, so I often use a Danish Freehand with a nice large bowl. I also like corncobs for trying new pipe blends.

I don't have a church warden yet. But do have a couple Danish Freehand pipes. Huge pipes. Got them from my uncle.

All my pipes are in Hawaii now, and I'm here on the mainland. In a few weeks I'll be there with them. Can't wait to sit at my new home, tiny back lanai (porch) and smoke some tobacco. I have a drugstore mix called Virginia Gold, vanilla laced. But it smells real good. I think I have a few tins of Virginia #1 in unpacked boxes at the new place. Been aging for a year or so. Should be pretty good.

Captain Black . It be the stuff pipe dreams are made from

I love the smell of Captain Black. It is what pipe smoke should smell like. But I got to admit that's only when somebody else is smoking it - the aroma is perfect. I have a hard time smoking it and enjoying it. To much tongue bite and harshness for me.

I was brewing a 16 gal batch of New Zealand ipa when this arrived. I'm a very happy camper. The barbary coast smells intoxicating.

1396101393021.jpg

I've been smoking Mac Baren's Virginia no.1 on and off for years. Just recently got a tin from Pipes and Cigars.

P&C's has a "design your own blend" section.

Here's something I'm thinking about. What do you guys think?

Kikaha Street Blend
Perique 12% - Dark fruit sweentness, peppery, full bodied
Latakia 13% - Earthy, smoky, strong pungent odor, flavor is woody, campfire like
Toasted Black Cavendish 25% - Burley that has been slightly sweetened and toasted to caramelize sugars; adds brown sugar flavors, provides sweetness
Toasted Burley 50% - Mellow, Nutty flavor, fair amount of nicotine

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/my-own-blend/?slide=4

What's up with cool weather and pipe smoking? The two go together like fall leaves in the Midwest, football, sweatshirts, and Bon fires.

Unfortunately the Midwest and eastern falls don't exist here where I am. So smoke 'em if you go them wherever you are.

I always lose pipe tampers. My dad, a long time pipe smoker must have had the same issue. His favorite replacement was a 5 penny common nail. I've used them too. Lose one grab another. Only problem with them is they'll stick you in the leg through your trouser pocket.

Recently I've found something pretty cheap as a replacement to a nice made for a pipe tamper or nail.

Bamboo disposable chopsticks. We use them often at my house. Aside from cereal, pudding & pizza , chopsticks are perfect. We buy about a hundred pair for under two dollars.

I use used washed bamboo chopsticks as tampers. At first i just scored the circumference with a sharp knife about 2 inches from the rectangular head and snapped it. That works great for tamping down the 'baccy.

Then after one day I needed to scrape the sides a bit. The flat cut off end didn't work well so I widdled it down and rounded the edges. The entire process took just a minute or so and for whatever reason was sort of relaxing.

Theses little things work perfectly and are super cheap if you live where cheap packages of chopsticks are sold

Adding some pics. Sorry they are blurry but you'll get the idea

Also a pic of the MacBaren aromatic I recently started smoking. Reviews on the inter web is varied. I'm surprised to enjoy it as I was looking for an English blend but my only nearby smoke shop didn't offer that.

Okay here's the blurry pics but you'll get the idea.

Cheap bamboo chopstick
[ATTACH]208867[/ATTACH]

[/IMGCut off two inches of so
[ATTACH]208868[/ATTACH]

Widdle to a soft slanted point
][ATTACH]208869[/ATTACH]

:mug:

:pipe:

Smooth the corners
[ATTACH]208870[/ATTACH]

Smoke some good tobacco
[ATTACH]208871[/ATTACH]

:pipe:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404348966.315763.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404348966.315763.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 168
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404349033.377784.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404349033.377784.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 164
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404349090.588054.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404349090.588054.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 167
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404349163.277758.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404349163.277758.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 165
  • ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404349222.058043.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404349222.058043.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 163
I think i've had one pipe all summer so far. Been far too busy actually have time to myself. I'm enjoying the new captain black dark though.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I read some pretty good reviews on the CB dark. I found some at the drugstore and it was over. $9 for the standard pouch. That seems a bit high and probably is.

The Mac Barens I posted above was $24 at the only tobacco shop around here. Later I found it online at Pipes and Cigars for a few cents over $8. Even with shipping the cost would have been less online. I won't be going back to the local store.

I just wanted to comment on a great purchase I made recently.

I couldn't resist and try a Savanelli Pipe. I found the Florence line, which is their bargain line at around $60. And while perusing pipesandcigars, I decided to try the Dunhill, My Mixture 965. They had it available in bulk, so I bought 8 ounces for roughly $25. If you like a good strong English Mixture (just got into this, so I haven't tried a whole lot) I would highly recommend this tobacco. I have about 8 other tobaccos in my box, but can see myself smoking this all before I get to any of those. This tobacco is just full of flavor, but is a nice balance of spicy and sweet.

Also, I can't express enough what a bargain the Savanelli Florence was. I got the 622 model, because I'm a big guy and like big pipes, but wow, does this thing smoke nice.

I just wanted to comment on a great purchase I made recently.

I couldn't resist and try a Savanelli Pipe. I found the Florence line, which is their bargain line at around $60. And while perusing pipesandcigars, I decided to try the Dunhill, My Mixture 965. They had it available in bulk, so I bought 8 ounces for roughly $25. If you like a good strong English Mixture (just got into this, so I haven't tried a whole lot) I would highly recommend this tobacco. I have about 8 other tobaccos in my box, but can see myself smoking this all before I get to any of those. This tobacco is just full of flavor, but is a nice balance of spicy and sweet.

Also, I can't express enough what a bargain the Savanelli Florence was. I got the 622 model, because I'm a big guy and like big pipes, but wow, does this thing smoke nice.

Savanelli pipes are a good value. I've never had one that wasn't a good smoker regardless if it was an expensive model or a cheaper model. Dunhill brand pipe tobaccos are very good. While I don't consider 965 a strong tobacco blend, it is a very tasty mixture. It is a wonderful tobacco for introducing people to the latakia leaf and it's character.

If you are ever in the mood for a truly strong pipe blend I suggest trying Peterson's Irish Flake, or any number of ropes produced by Samuel Gawth and 1792 Flake. Be warned though, these are truly strong and you should be sitting down when smoking these. :drunk:

Enjoy!

Savanelli pipes are a good value. I've never had one that wasn't a good smoker regardless if it was an expensive model or a cheaper model. Dunhill brand pipe tobaccos are very good. While I don't consider 965 a strong tobacco blend, it is a very tasty mixture. It is a wonderful tobacco for introducing people to the latakia leaf and it's character.

If you are ever in the mood for a truly strong pipe blend I suggest trying Peterson's Irish Flake, or any number of ropes produced by Samuel Gawth and 1792 Flake. Be warned though, these are truly strong and you should be sitting down when smoking these. :drunk:

Enjoy!

As I said, I haven't smoked a whole lot, but compared to what I do have, 5 davidoff tins, borkum riff, captain black and sutliff, molto dolce, this one definitely packs a bit more punch. Sorry if I over sold it. I've been a cigar smoker for quite a few years, just picked up pipes, but this one definitely gave me that full flavor taste compared to anything else I have in my collection.

Just picked up an estate Danish freehand. It's a Preben Holm and has a very nice feel to it. Can't wait to give it a smoke tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew while pooping.

This Danish pipe smokes awesome. Had a bowl last night and was able to relax on my back porch for an hour with no re-lights.

My new favorite pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew while pooping.

Here in Hawaii it's always summer. Even in the winter. I'm going to miss mainland Fall. Always seems this pipe smoking thread picks up when the weather cools and sweatshirts replace T-shirts.

Probably out of style these days. I haven't smoked a pipe in years, until tonight. I was out in my garage and broke open the Sherlock Holmes pipe cabinet my uncle gave to my father and my father gave to me shortly before he passed away 10 years ago.

Inside is a collection of Dad's pipes, my uncle's, and mine. Some beautiful hand crafted pieces of beauty in that cabinet. Many of them are works of art and some are standard drug store pipes; my personal collection are nicely crafted briar pipes I bought or were given as presents. There is a Meerschaum Calabash in there as well, not sure if it was Dad's or my uncle's.

I felt a little nostalgic and found some old pipe tobacco in a pipe holder I built years ago and packed my Dad's favorite old pipe. I thought the tobacco would be to dry but loaded the pipe, packed it down ever so gently after the initial burn and sat down to enjoy a good smoke.

Don't think I'll be smoking much again but it was sort of nice going back in time.

So without going through 75 pages of replies... Did you ever post up some picts of your Dad and your Uncles pipes? Would love to see em'

Cheers Brother!

Jay

So without going through 75 pages of replies... Did you ever post up some picts of your Dad and your Uncles pipes? Would love to see em'

Cheers Brother!

Jay

Jay!

Great to see you here!!

Try post #105. Should be pics of my dad's, uncle's and my personal pipes there.

Cheers Brother

Dan

That is one incredible collection of history you have there my friend! Great wood work as well. It's funny how us men build things using our hands as an outlet of creativity to enjoy aspects of another hobby!
My step dad use to smoke a pipe and I always liked it. When everyone else was whimpering over the smoke and the smell I was like "let me get your pipe for you Bruzer" I might have to go stir up one and keep it around for safe keeping.

Cheers Brother

Jay

I used to smoke a pipe, However I gave up nicotine and now use an electric pipe with 0 nicotine e-liquid. All the flavor none of the hacking or health issues.

That is one incredible collection of history you have there my friend! Great wood work as well. It's funny how us men build things using our hands as an outlet of creativity to enjoy aspects of another hobby!
My step dad use to smoke a pipe and I always liked it. When everyone else was whimpering over the smoke and the smell I was like "let me get your pipe for you Bruzer" I might have to go stir up one and keep it around for safe keeping.

Cheers Brother

Jay

Thanks Jay
The pipes don't get smoked much anymore. Mostly just when I'm feeling nostalgic these days.

My love for building things with wood and overall creativeness came from my dad. I'm far far from a craftsman but with all the cool tools available it's pretty easy to build stuff. I also get my lack of detailed building plans from him as we'll. He once roughed out his plan to build an additional room on the house I grew up in, on the back of a matchbook! Haha.

My Dad. I miss him.

I used to smoke a pipe, However I gave up nicotine and now use an electric pipe with 0 nicotine e-liquid. All the flavor none of the hacking or health issues.

I had no idea they made e-pipes. I've never been an everyday pipe smoker but a few times I smoked too much in one day - next day my my mouth/gums would be overly dried out and tender. Even if I smoked gently.

I think I'm into pipes mostly for their beauty, for the aroma of pipe tobacco and for the fond memories they bring. Kind of like Jay was talking about. The aroma is awesome. Triggers some great memories.

Thats my e-pipe. its sitting in front of a 1/2 liter swing top for a size comparison. It is a huge battery(26650 or d cell) full custom made wood.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409705030.910045.jpg Well, you guys went and did it! Made me break out the pipe. My anxiety benefitted from it greatly.

That's a nice looking pipe. Is it a Stanwell freehand?

It's a nording signature freehand that my wife got me last Christmas. She is fully against smoking, but I somehow convinced her I needed a pipe. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409787794.414195.jpg

This thread keeps popping up and reminding me I need to light up a pipe, Bishop's Move (by Uhle's) here I come!

Yeah, I love this thread. One day I'll start smoking something again, probably a pipe. As I've said before here, I'm a former smoker and I'll never touch cigs again, but man o man a pipe smells great.

I have an addictive nature, so I'll avoid this stuff till my kids are well into flight. But at that time, and that should be until I'm about 60, I'm gonna start smoking a pipe. Hell yes. See you then!

Yeah, I love this thread. One day I'll start smoking something again, probably a pipe. As I've said before here, I'm a former smoker and I'll never touch cigs again, but man o man a pipe smells great.

I have an addictive nature, so I'll avoid this stuff till my kids are well into flight. But at that time, and that should be until I'm about 60, I'm gonna start smoking a pipe. Hell yes. See you then!

Pipes aren't like cigarettes. They can become addictive not for their nicotine content like cigarettes. More for their beauty.

The tobacco is absolutely serendipitous . There are many to choose from and it might take some time to find the one you enjoy most.

Pipe smoking, like brewing or anything else worthwhile. Takes patience

I had to edit to spell serendipitous correctly. I might have stil screwed it up. Pretty cool word though. :)

Pipes aren't like cigarettes. They can become addictive not for their nicotine content like cigarettes. More for their beauty.

Agreed. I had a hard time quitting cigarettes (and subsequently dip/snuff), but I've never had an issue making pipes (or cigars) an occasional treat as opposed to a habit or addiction. I smoked my pipe last weekend, and that was the first time in months.

The other night I enjoyed a pipe while sitting in our enclosed front porch with the windows open and a nice breeze coming through and just listened to the night- the definition of serenity. I had forgotten how relaxing a good pipe can be.

Just saw this thread and had to comment! I started smoking a pipe about 5 years ago, when I first started doing the Civil War reenactment stuff. I started with a $10 clay tavern pipe and have since expanded my horizons to feature some beautiful hand-carved pipes from J.M. Boswell in Chambersburg, PA. Check them out, by the way.

Pipe smoking is so incredibly relaxing and a great way to wind down from a hard day's work. The tobacco also offers so many great flavors from the standard Cavendish to latakia.

I haven't smoked anything in a very long time. Have even been considering getting rid of all my pipe, etc...

And then I get a whiff of all that sweet, natural, earthy goodness that is my tobacco collection and it gives me pause to consider packing a bowl.

I haven't done it yet because I am always in the middle of something else with no time to sit and enjoy a bowl. And then I see this thread and I am back full circle again.

Back