This is embarrassing and dumb...but I'm asking anyway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint04

Reaction score
So I have this friend who brews about 2-3 batches per year, using canned extract and loads of flavored syrups. He basically just makes some sort of beer and dumps flavoring in it.

Anyway, he is convinced that he has a brilliant idea to make a cheese beer. Basically, he wants to make a base beer and add the powdered cheese packet from a box of Mac N Cheese (I **** you not).

I just tried to explain why that's just not a good idea, but he wasn't having it. I told him that fats and beer don't mix, not to mention the chemicals that are in that neon orange cheese. He still wasn't having it.

Can anyone give me a quick reason why this wouldn't work, so I can explain to him the various reasons why it won't?

That would be a help. And hey, if you have an idea as to how to actually get cheese flavor into a beer, I guess I would admit I am wrong...

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed one of the more ridiculous posts you've read on here in a long time.

Nope... I can't think of a single reason why that wouldn't be the best beer ever made.

Tell him to go for it!!!

Basically he's adding cheese flavored flour to the mix. But hey, let him make it and drink it. the day I want my beer to taste like my cheese, I'll put it in a blender.

I love cheese and beer. I don't predict this ending quite as he expects, but encourage him to follow his muse.

I should tell him to make a rauchbier and add the cheese flavoring. Smoked Cheddar. Unfortunately, he isn't too aware (nor cares to be aware) of different beer styles.

I should tell him to make a rauchbier and add the cheese flavoring. Smoked Cheddar. Unfortunately, he isn't too aware (nor cares to be aware) of different beer styles.

I am shocked to learn that someone who is adding a kraft macaroni cheese pack to a beer is not well versed in beer style.

On a technical note, is he planning to add before or after fermentation?

I am shocked to learn that someone who is adding a kraft macaroni cheese pack to a beer is not well versed in beer style.

On a technical note, is he planning to add before or after fermentation?

Yeah, pretty shocking.

I was going to tell him to dump the powder in at the end of the boil, but I have no clue.

Yeah, pretty shocking.

I was going to tell him to dump the powder in at the end of the boil, but I have no clue.

I think this calls for an experiment. I demand not one, but THREE kraft brews.

1) add cheese pack pre-boil.
2) add cheese pack post-boil.
3) dry-hop, i mean dry-cheese, with the dry cheese.

Sure he is:
Lemonade beer
Blueberry beer
Strawberry beer
Apple beer
Apricot beer
Blackberry beer
Cherry beer
and of course, Cheese beer!!!

When you have those styles, why would you need anything else?

I think this calls for an experiment. I demand not one, but THREE kraft brews.

1) add cheese pack pre-boil.
2) add cheese pack post-boil.
3) dry-hop, i mean dry-cheese, with the drycheese.

If I had money to burn, I would certainly take you up on this kraft beer experiment!

I had someone tell me several times that I should stop making pale ales, ipas, etc. He told me that I should be making beers that taste like a meal:

Breakfast beer that tastes like eggs, ham, and toast.
Dinner beer that tastes like steak and mashed potatoes or that tastes like a hamburger and french fries.

No no, you need to trick HIM into doing the experiment... in the name of science or some other noble cause!

I don't think you need to trick him by the sounds of it :D
Just suggest the next "experiemnt" when the previous one fails... "Oh, so it didn't work??? hmmm, maybe if you added the cheese pack after you finished boiling" ;)

If I had a friend who was willing to waste money on extract on an experiment like that I would be all for it. His money and not mine, never know if he's onto something. I mean we've got powdered peanut butter brews so why not powdered cheese?

Dude, you need to learn to enjoy this thing called "schadenfreude." :ban:

Sadly im with everyone else. Support his decision. Heck video it and put on YouTube. It will go viral (at least with the HB community). And we all may learn something.

too early in the day, the thought of how awful this thing would be makes my stomach turn. Funny enough, beer flavored cheese sounds good - but cheese flavored beer, not so much.

His beer, his money, good luck to him.

I had someone tell me several times that I should stop making pale ales, ipas, etc. He told me that I should be making beers that taste like a meal:

Breakfast beer that tastes like eggs, ham, and toast.
Dinner beer that tastes like steak and mashed potatoes or that tastes like a hamburger and french fries.

No eggs, but this has maple, bacon, and coffee, that is the start of a good breakfast
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16410/62761

I've got a sweet potatoe beer, just got to figure out how to add the steak :mug: :rockin:

No eggs, but this has maple, bacon, and coffee, that is the start of a good breakfast
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16410/62761

I've got a sweet potatoe beer, just got to figure out how to add the steak :mug: :rockin:

the funky buddha lounge is right near me and that maple bacon coffee porter is PHENOMENAL!!

as for the OP, you should tell your buddy that you did some homework and found how to do it. have him add the cheese powder to vodka to make an extract and add it after fermentation. then sit back and laugh while he dumps the worse beer on earth down the drain...

Your "friend" wouldn't happen to be you....would it? :D

Kidding.....strongly encourage him to do this, because I can't wait to hear about how this train wreck turns out. :mug:

I don't think that this would be a good beer. BUT I have a theory that 'if it can be fermented, man has tried to make beer with it' Heck even if it can't be I bet there is a rock beer out there.

I say let him do it, or even the triple Kraft Challenged that been mentioned. And let us know how bad it goes.

Back