Sugar eating pattern of yeast (redisual VS dextrose or cane sugar)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
Is it true that yeast will always eat the sugar added to a recipe like dextrose or cane sugar before eating the residual already in the cider? for example, if I start off with an OG of 1.50 and I add dextrose and cane sugar till it’s at 1.055 and take reading till it's at 1.050 again, would that mean that only the dextrose and cane sugar where eaten by the yeast at that time ?

Thanks

I doubt they'd be that selective during their orgy, nor do I believe there would be any easy way to detect it in realtime. I think the only thing one could say is it is easier for them to digest any simple sugars than any of the more complex ones, so those would be converted first (possibly) because of the body is digesting the others longer than the simple ones are going to be "peed" out first.

The reason I'm asking is that I usually use a combination of 1/3 dextrose for 2/3 cane sugar as recommended by CvilleKevin but I was not paying attention and started a 5 gallon with the opposite (1/3 cane sugar and 2/3 dextrose) and I'm afraid the taste could be very different to what I'm used to. If the yeast eat the dextrose and cane sugar first, I assumed it wouldn't make a difference in taste and that's why I'm asking ?

do you think this ratio of these 2 sugar will have a big impact on taste ?

Haven't you asked basically the same question before?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/cane-sugar-vs-dextrose-192399/
No, that question was about the effect on taste of sugar on fully fermented cider(1.000). the recipee I am using now will be stopped at 1.010 so I will indeed have sore residual in the cider. My question this time is to know if the sugar remaining would only be the residuals from the original mix and if yeast usualy consume the simple sugar first.

Thanks for asking GinKings.

Latest posts

Back