My SMaSH Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIPAfool

Reaction score
Rebel had some Crystal MO, Im doing 13 lbs of Crystal MO and Chinook. mostly late additions and mashing at a higher temp (like 155F-160F) or decoct i havent decided yet. I have 3oz of Chinook any ideas on a good addition plan for this hop? Im thinking .5(60min), .5(20min), .5(10min), .5(1min), 1oz(dry hop) any thoughts are welcome. Im also using Pacman yeast. My question, is the 13lbs enough for a 5gal batch at 1.060-1.070sg? I dont have a program like beersmith or promash so... Im looking for insite on this one.

I'm not experienced enough to comment on the recipe, but for calculators, why not try hopville.com? I use this all the time and I find it very convenient.

That will get you above 1.060 (70%eff.or higher)and the hop additions look fine.However i would never do an all crystal or caramel malt beer.It will be WAY to sweet and have to much body.If you insist on trying it then i would mash low <150 for 2 hours at least to make it more fermentable.Let us know how it turns out!!??

Howa bout this, Mash at 150 for an hour thirty, then switch to a 1oz(60min) and drop the 1min addition. Bitterness to counter the sweetness. iv been doing more dry beers and im shooting for more mouthfeel on this one, the main reason i went with crystal MO. I think this may work for a more balanced beer. What do you guys think?

Back