Reuse yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranny04

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting an IPA with WLP001. (OG 1.068 )

I am planing on brewing an American imperial stout (OG should be around 1.090)

I am thinking of washing and reusing the yeast but I've read that you should only reuse yeast with similar styles.

Do you all think I should use this yeast? Will it negatively affect my stout?

Cheers

If you are careful with your washing and properly rebuild a starter, my understanding is that there's no problem with doing what you are describing.

I am thinking of washing and reusing the yeast but I've read that you should only reuse yeast with similar styles.

I'm pretty sure thats only an issue if you're not washing and just pitching on the cake. even then, I dont think you'd notice in an imperial stout

As already mentioned, if you wash/rinse your yeast, you can go all over the place with it... I rinsed/washed some Wyeast 1084 from a porter turned BarleyWine (OG of 1.101 :eek:) and then used it in an Irish Red Ale with an OG of 1.064 without any issue at all.

Just do a decent/good job of it, use a starter, and you shouldn't have any issues...

I would advise splitting the yeast you wash/rinse up into a few parts. Use one, reserve the rest. I've been alternating which harvested yeast I'm using. Giving a week or two from when the brew gets bottled until that yeast is used again. This way, it really separates out and you get good yeast to use. Every time I go to use the yeast, by the time the starter has cooled down enough, the yeast is active in the jar it's been refridgerated in. Even after over a month.

Back