growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeUnit

Reaction score
can you use a growler to bottle and naturally carbonate your beer, or will it explode due to the pressure?

They are not designed to hold pressure. They may work fine for several goes at it. But sooner or later they will explode. I used to use them. But after the 2nd exploded on me I got a kegorator.

Yeah I wouldn't do it. A twist on cap wont hold the pressure a crimp crown cap will. And growlers are known for leaking out carbonation anyway. Typically growlers are only good for beer you plan to drink within a few days

This might give you an idea...."Growler goes Boom";)

there's a tons of threads on this. You have to realize that they are meant to hold already carbonated beer, NOT beer carbonating, where the pressure is built up the forces itself into solution. Some folks will say they have no problem, but others like above will say differently. To me, I sure as heck wouldn't want to play Russian Roulette with my beer.
Nor would I want to risk 30 bucks trying in a fancy growler either.

I used to do this a lot. It's really not worth it. It's the equivalent of less than 3 22 oz bottles, so you're really not saving a lot of sanitation time or hassle by using growlers instead of 22s.

Back