Primary and Secondary Fermentation Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiler489

Reaction score
I recently started two of my first batches of wine. One rose and one dandelion. They have been in the primary container for a week, and I am about to strain them into the secondary. Unfortunately, I will be out of town a week from now. I would really appreciate any recommendations as far as what to do to continue fermentation the best way possible. As far as i know, the options are to transfer to the secondary now, and then rack in a week before I leave for an extended period. Or, leave in the secondary for a period of months. Am I correct in this assumption? Any thoughts on the best way to proceed?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate any input.

Skyler

I transfer to secondary when the SG is 1.010-1.030ish. That way, fermentation continues but the wine is safely in the carboy and airlocked.

Thereafter, I rack every 45-60 days whenever there are lees 1/4" thick or so.

Winemaking is a great hobby for busy procrastinators, and it can stay in secondary for years as long as it's not kept on the lees. I just bottled some rhubarb wine last week. It was made in early 2008, and had been in the carboy for at least 15-16 months!

Back