Nottingham done at 1.014 ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steakandale

Reaction score
I'm almost done brewing an english mild.
I overshot OG a little so I thought I would get a few more ticks of ABV out of it. Recipe gave a target OG of 1.03* and mine was 1.040.

Now this might be my problem, I didn't have any dry extract, and made a starter with corn sugar (I know bad idea) it was only overnight, and fermentation at 68F appeared normal, and fast. I have 2.5 days now - three hydro readings at 1.013-1.014
giving me about 3.4ABV

Would repitching a small amount get it down to 1.009?
Should I just not worry and drink it up? and make the next one without the starter mistake?

I read somewhere that doing a yeast starter in a glucose rich environment causes them to lose some of their ability to take in all the different sugars in the wort. You could try to rouse the yeast or raise the temp alittle but it might not do any good. If I was in your position I would just let it sit the primary for a few more weeks then keg it and enjoy.

For dry yeasts you don't need a starter as much as you just need to rehydrate them with warm water. If it fermented out that far, then you probably have enough yeast in there. Try warming it up to around 70F and swirling the yeast back into suspension. Give it a week or two more and see what happens.

No, I can see how that was pretty mis-leading...

Pitched Sunday after-noon OG=1.040 68F.

Thurs 5:00am G=1.014
Thurs 9pm G=1.014
Fri Am still 1.014-013

I'm taking it out of its tub of water and letting it get back to room temp
its already AC time here - about 77 in the house. I'll see if that wakes it up at all.

and that doesn't add up to 2.5 days oops
but the three readings make me think it might be finished

I thought raising the temp worked. It's now 1.012.
But after thinking about it I think I'm just measuring the temp difference. After adding .001 for the higher temp...it hasnt really changed. I wish there was a delete post option !!

It is hard to say with extract what the attenuation will be. I would expect something under 1.010 with a 1.040 starting and notty but if it hasn't changed in a few days it is done.

Latest posts

Back