first mead racked to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojr

Reaction score
I'm making my first mead (a raspberry melomel, actually) and racked it to secondary today. It looks great so far! The smell reminds me quite a lot of some white wines from the Finger Lakes region.

I had let this sit in the primary two months and was worried about autolosis, but it smells and tastes fine. How long do people normally wait before racking to secondary?

My OG was 1.107, and SG out of primary was 0.997. It'll be interesting to see what happens now that I've added raspberry puree.

Oh, I also learned that 5 + ~1/4 > 5. I put the puree in the secondary first, then racked the mead on top. I was so focused on not sucking up yeast that I didn't notice the several pints overflowing onto the floor. :eek:

I've seen people leave meads in the primary for 6 months. My blackberry melomel is going on three months (I fermented the juice for a month, then added the honey). As long as it is still fermenting, the yeast are alive & well, so autolysis is not a problem.

Back