Help with Promash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm putting together my recipe for my maiden voyage into AG land using Promash.

I've got the grain bill, yeast selection, and hop schedule put in already, but I'm staring at the mash schedule and feeling like a moron.

By default, there is a "full bodied ale double infusion" schedule on there, but that's not what I plan to do. I am going to do a single step infusion and batch sparge the thing.

Can any of you gurus help me figure out how to represent this in promash?

-walker

heh-heh... I missed the "EASY" button.

I clicked the "revert to simple schedule" and selected "single step".

Now, I've got something that looks like the attached image. Should I be futzing with any of this stuff?

mash.jpg

Thanks, but I think I might have found my answers.

That "search" thinhy is cool. When did that show up? ;)

Thanks for the opinions guys, but I have promash, so that's what I'm gonna use. :)

Anyway, I did not find my answers... I only found the same link the bird had posted which, for some reason, is not working right now.

-walker

Walker-san said:
heh-heh... I missed the "EASY" button.

I clicked the "revert to simple schedule" and selected "single step".

Now, I've got something that looks like the attached image. Should I be futzing with any of this stuff?

I'd bump your water grain ratio up to about 1.25. I was mashing at 1, and it was taking quite a while for me to pass my iodine conversion test. Other than that, I'd say it looks fine. Just a simple matter of hitting the calculate dough in temp button. Also make sure you have your initial grain temp set properly.

What are you brewing?

Chairman Cheyco said:
I'd bump your water grain ratio up to about 1.25. I was mashing at 1, and it was taking quite a while for me to pass my iodine conversion test. Other than that, I'd say it looks fine. Just a simple matter of hitting the calculate dough in temp button. Also make sure you have your initial grain temp set properly.
Thanks, Cheyco. So you are saying that things look fine for a batch sparge? Meaning... I dump in my sparge water, stir it up, and let it stand for a full hour before draining into my kettle? That's the thing I'm really wondering about.

Chairman Cheyco said:
What are you brewing?

An american Pale Ale. I'm calling it "Santa Maria's Maiden Voyage". (several reasons for the name... it's my first AG, and I'm using only Columbus hops, and it's an american ale)

9 lbs of 2-row
1 lb of victory
1 lb of munich
0.5 lb of carapils
0.5 lb of 20L crystal

0.5 oz columbus / 60 minutes
1.0 oz columbus / 15 minutes
1.0 oz columbus / dry

1056 American Ale yeast

Estimated OG: 1.057 (assuming 70% efficiency and a 5.5 gal batch)
Estimated IBU: 45

-walker

Recipe looks good! Glad to see someone picking a reasonable brew for their first AG instead of a Quadruple Imperial Pumpkin Chili Cherry Barley Wine. :cross:

Walker-san said:
Thanks, Cheyco. So you are saying that things look fine for a batch sparge? Meaning... I dump in my sparge water, stir it up, and let it stand for a full hour before draining into my kettle? That's the thing I'm really wondering about.

Yeah, you got it. If you haven't already, read this and that link bird submitted about using promash. Both of these together will give you all you need to know.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Yeah, you got it. If you haven't already, read this and that link bird submitted about using promash. Both of these together will give you all you need to know.

I'll check out your link. I can't check out the one bird posted because it doesn't work. I get an SQL error when I try to use it.

-walker

It doessn't have to stand for an hour when you sparge, though. After the mash is done and you're sparging, let it sit for ten to fifeen minutes before draining. The mash itself will take an hour, the sparge doesn't need to. You don't have to be as patient with batch sparging as you do with fly sparging.

(honestly, though, check out BeerSmith - it handles batch sparging VERY easily and cleanly. I MUCH prefer it to ProMash).

The link WAS working. I read it all through last week and understood none of it. :D I don;t know whether an SWL error or whatever is a permanant or temporary condition...

Walker-san said:
I'm putting together my recipe for my maiden voyage into AG land using Promash.

I've got the grain bill, yeast selection, and hop schedule put in already, but I'm staring at the mash schedule and feeling like a moron.

By default, there is a "full bodied ale double infusion" schedule on there, but that's not what I plan to do. I am going to do a single step infusion and batch sparge the thing.

Can any of you gurus help me figure out how to represent this in promash?

-walker

The problem with ProMash is it assumes you have the means to heat your mash tun to mash out temperatures. Before I added steam , and then HERMS to my system I would add a few quarts of boiling water to the mash tun at mash out, stir and slowly bring my mash up to my mash out temp. ie 168-170DegF. I would then subtract the volume I dumped into my mash from the sparge volume in the water needed function of ProMash. This is so you don't over shoot your final volume and you can actually keep your mash at sparge temperature throughout the sparge process whether your fly or batch sparging . Also , it facilitates an easy calculation of sparge water temperature and volume at that temperature.

If you follow this procedure all you have to do is select the mashout temp in
the Promash mash designer for step infusions and enter the time it took to get your mash to that temp and set the sparge temp and save it.

Here's the post from the link listed... had to cut the first 2 IMG files, but they were simply the session file and the recipe file in that session (if you have ProMash, you should be able to figure most of this out from the text)

HTH,
mikey

Q: I use ProMash and I batch sparge but ProMash doesn't support batch sparging. How do I calculate how much water I need?
A: To answer this, we're going to use an example. Let's take a typical English bitter as our example brew. Here's the brewing session in ProMash...

...and here's the recipe. As you can see, it's pretty simple but perfect for our needs.

First let's look at the mash schedule. If you click the "Mash Schedule" button on the brewing session, and then click "Revert To Complex Schedule", this screen appears. We're going to start with just a single step infusion just as if we were fly sparging.

mash1.png

I normally use a 1.25 qt./lb. mash stiffness but here I rounded it off to an even 3 gallons. Now let's go over to the Water Needed screen.

water1.png

As you can see, when I set the Sparge Amount so that I come out with 5 gallons at the end, there is a lot more water in the "Total Into Mash" field than in the "Total From Mash" field. When you're batch sparging, you want the amount you get from both batches to be about the same. So to do that we're going to add another step to our mash schedule.

Take the Into Mash value and subtract the From Mash value from it, then divide that number by two. In this case, it works out to 1.95 gallons, or 7.8 quarts. This is the amount of water we want to use in our mash out step. Close this window and go back to the mash schedule. Add a new step to the mash schedule and increase the temperature until the Infuse Amount is approximately 7.8 qts. Mash outs are usually around 168 - 170°F. but don't worry if the temperature that ProMash calculates is less than that. The main reason for this step is simply to add more water to the mash before we drain the tun. A side benefit is that heating the mash will help dissolve more sugars and increase efficiency a little. If the temperature comes out greater than 170°, lower the Infuse Temp until it drops below 170°.

mash2.png

Now go back to the Water Needed screen and adjust the Sparge Gallons until we again have 5 gallons in the After Cooling field. As you can see from this screenshot, the Water Into Mash is now nearly equal to the Water From Mash.

water2.png

That's all there is to it. In this example, we would use 3 gallons for the mash, 7.6 quarts for the mash out and then we would sparge with about 3.9 gallons.

Note that for this to be accurate, all of your losses such as grain absorption, kettle deadspace, evaporation rate, etc. have to be configured correctly. These settings are found in Options | System Settings, then click the button labelled Mash System, Evaporation.

Thanks everyone. With all the help and tips here, plus the Baron who knows the ropes, I should be able to figure it out.

-walker

Cheyco & Mykel, thanks for posting this. I always just used the simple mash schedule and added the mash out water to the amount of sparge water to come up with the correct total amount of water I would need. This makes things much more clear and easy to understand

Back