Backyard Brewpub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is first thread that I have read from beginning to end and all I can say is wow! Congrats to you and your wife. I hope that you 2 are able to enjoy your brewpub for many years to come! :mug:

WFahey- expansion put on hold as I work some more on the brew rig and fermentation.
Here's one of the improvements.
283a972f.jpg

It's running great. The only change I wnat to make is to put multiple sensors in the mash tun. I don't get mash temp acuracy from the flow thru tri clamp sensors.
I want to put two in the kettle, at different heights.
Other than that, I love it. I have to admit, I use it in manual mode most of the time. Just flip a switch. Done. The RIMS works great in PID, and I set the Boil kettle holds a steady boil at 50-60% depending on 5 or 10 gallon batch.
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE my RIg!
I get SO many compliments on it ( I always give you credit for the electronics)
In my humble opinion, it's still one of the coolest brew rigs I've seen.
Brewing a Westvleteren 12 clone-ish on it saturday

This thread is rediculous (in a great way) as previously mentioned by 100 other people.

I think it's funny though that people keep asking for updates on expansions and what not, he built a whole sports bar/brew pub in his back yard that looks to be pretty enormous but awesomly equipped and everybody is like "so what else"?

My answer "well I'm gonna move out of my house into the bar and party everyday so... thats about it"

Great thread, awe-inspiring seeing it all come together. Everything looks incredibly polished, well thought out and planned, impeccably executed. I also like the fact that you are not just some ridiculously wealthy dude with a lot of money to burn - this is your blood, sweat and tears. This is your (and your wife's apparently) dream, which makes it all the more awesome. It almost makes it an achievable reality for your average Joe like myself. Prost and congrats!

Probe is taped to the side of the fermenter.
May install a thermowell at some point, to see if there is a difference.

Layne, I’ve just stumbled onto this thread....went through what I thought was every page, so my question which I couldn't find; if you had to ballpark the total cost (including the sweet rig set-up) what did it run i.e. building, equipment etc.?

I’m only asking as oddly enough I had the exact same idea (but on a much smaller scale, about half that size (obviously, not as many friends as you might have)).

I realize if you don’t want to post it (or if you’ve already posted it and I missed it). All-in-all very much full of awesomeness!!

I’m off to the store to get me some more lotto tickets for sure now!

lhd7osc said:
Layne, I’ve just stumbled onto this thread....went through what I thought was every page, so my question which I couldn't find; if you had to ballpark the total cost (including the sweet rig set-up) what did it run i.e. building, equipment etc.?

I’m only asking as oddly enough I had the exact same idea (but on a much smaller scale, about half that size (obviously, not as many friends as you might have)).

I realize if you don’t want to post it (or if you’ve already posted it and I missed it). All-in-all very much full of awesomeness!!

I’m off to the store to get me some more lotto tickets for sure now!

Having gone through a somewhat similar build in scope I'd say 100 grand give or take based on regional differences and the amount of sweat equity put into it.

A bargain I say!!!

Layne,

Great build and great system. Anything you would change now from the original plan? I am going to build myself a much smaller version one of these days, more like a brewshed. Also, where did you find that fermentation fridge?

Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks Artemisag.
The only thing I would change, is more storage Room temp, and cold storage. Maybe in the future, we'll expand. Remember, this is a party room, a kitchen, a brewery, a bar, lots of stuff goin on in there.
The ferm fridge was an old beverage cooler

Wow, great thread. thanks for sharing your build. Hope to see more pictures as you work through the brewing/fermenter set up.

:eek:

I just went through this thread from page 1 to now. Only took an hour and a half. Once I started I couldn't stop. This is a truly amazing work of art. The fact that it is fully functional seems like its just a bonus.

I can only aspire to someday visit a backyard brewpub as nice as this. Amazing dream that came to epic fruition.

Hoist a cold one for me. :mug:
Conner

Next step was to increase serving capacity. Finally decided to buy a 2 keg commercial keggerator, and convert it to 6 taps. I actually have 7, one is using a picnic tap inside :)
I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

taps.jpg

Good God Man!! I sure hope your friends pitch in coin for all this beer you're a brewing and serving!

Also noticed you use both types of corny kegs. Was that by choice or design...or neither?

Full of awesomeness either way.....keep posting.

I bought a few pinlock kegs, because they will fit better in the back of the keggerator.

I brew everything I serve on tap.
We always like to have some interesting micros in the fridge also :)
What new on your end?

Hey limulus I think you figured a way of comparing this whole thread with our own miserable equipment. One day I will win the lottery and hire Layne to build me a brewpub:ban:

Read the whole thread. That's just awesome man. Looks great. I don't hate you at all like others. I'm proud of you for working hard to make a living, sacrificing when you were young and now taking your justly deserved reward. We almost built a house in Prairieville b/t airline and I 10 in the late 90's. My house didn't sell in Texas and had to move back. Still have friends over there, their son plays on Dutchtown's football team. I have a 1500sq barn/shop that I built out a LSU room in. I was looking at all the keezer builds, now you have me thinking about making some kind of bar in there. I know the money adds up quick. I have over 50k in my barn now and I just have a 200sq ft room built out in an unfinished barn. I wonder what mines gonna cost once it's all said and done not that I looked at yours. I do know it won't be as slick as yours, it will be more of an outdoor bar with one room to chill out in. More of an Ice House. Bet you have a great time watching Saints games and LSU Games in there.

Back