SCPA/MD/DC Brewers!: BJCP Class- Clipper City Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Just got word of this class from my club. Starts March 1st at Clipper City.

PM and I can forward your info to the course organizer.

There are only four spots open; well, three, 'coz I'm going. :rockin:

First, this is a very thorough 11 week study group designed to prepare participants for taking the Beer Judging Certification Program exam. By taking the class, it doesn't commit you to taking the exam - that's your decision. In the past, I've had people just take it for the education and experience. That's cool.

Here's an idea of what we'll do and what you can expect to learn:

1. sample/compare/discuss several beer styles - we'll sample over 150 beers representing different world class examples of styles.

2. Discover typical off flavors found in beers through sampling doctored beer along side undoctored beer.

3. Learn different brewing techniques and how these techniques affect the finished product.

4. Discuss in depth the 4 main ingredients in beer - water, malt, yeast and hops. How their differences affect or create different styles of beer. This will include discussions on recipe formulation.

If you want more detail at this point, visit Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) and click on the Exam section.

Understand that this class requires participation. There will be some homework, reading and research to do. The way we run the class is to have everyone pick either a discussion topic and/or beer style. Each class we spend half the class on a topic and the rest of the time on a beer style. If you selected that particular night's topic or beer style then you're conducting class. You'll present your research and interpretation of that topic. You'll lead the discussion as we all provide feedback and discuss. Handouts are encouraged and if you email them to me at least 24 hours before class, I'll make copies.

During the beer style portion, the presenter will discuss the nuances between sub-styles (like american IPA vs british IPA vs ESB etc.) We'll sample beers from these styles and everyone will have a chance to give their opinions.

Some classes we'll also take 10-15 minutes to troubleshoot tainted beers. We'll use a standard light lager and sample both untainted and tainted side by side. You'll have to determine what the flaw is. We'll then discuss the causes and preventions of that fault.

The cost of the class is around $90-$100 per person. I'll have an exact figure once I know how many are participating which determines the quantity of beer to purchase.

So in a nutshell, that's what we do. Hope I haven't scared off too many of you. It requires some work but the reward is the knowledge you'll gain and be able to use whether you're homebrewing, drinking in a bar or judging beers in a competition.

Is this actually OPEN?

According to our club, this is done by the Maryland Club Guild (a club comprised of clubs) and they offer this to 2 people from each club - and then open any extra seats to a 3rd member from a participating club. I didn't hear anything that it's an open registration...

Is this actually OPEN?

According to our club, this is done by the Maryland Club Guild (a club comprised of clubs) and they offer this to 2 people from each club - and then open any extra seats to a 3rd member from a participating club. I didn't hear anything that it's an open registration...

It's my understanding that this is an open registration.

Spots still available. The commitment is a little too much for me at this time, so I'm waiting for a BJCP offered through my club in Frederick.

I checked on the BHCP website and there is an exam in Fredneck in September, shouldn't there be training to go along?

Ok, took the exam yesterday. Was very daunting. I was the only one not rushing to finish. I think I passed, I could not have picked better questions for me (it was all styles I knew well). well find out in 4 months!

Back