chocolate oatmeal stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
i've seen recipes for chocolate stout and recipies for oatmeal stout. is there a recipe for a chocolate oatmeal stout?

would this be a good thing for a first try at s stout?

do i need to ferment at any different temps than an ale?

Don't have one, but I'm interested in a chocolate coffee stout if anybody has one (guess that'd be a "mocha stout", huh?)

i've seen recipes for chocolate stout and recipies for oatmeal stout. is there a recipe for a chocolate oatmeal stout?

would this be a good thing for a first try at s stout?

do i need to ferment at any different temps than an ale?

Stone's anniversary beer this year was a chocolate oatmeal stout.

How much chocolate are you looking for? I would think this would be a pretty easy adaptation on a regular oatmeal stout, so I'd go for it.

Stouts are just ales, so fermenting temps will be similar. I'd keep it a little cool. You don't want any sort of major ester profile on an oatmeal stout.

Stone's anniversary beer this year was a chocolate oatmeal stout.

How much chocolate are you looking for? I would think this would be a pretty easy adaptation on a regular oatmeal stout, so I'd go for it.

Stouts are just ales, so fermenting temps will be similar. I'd keep it a little cool. You don't want any sort of major ester profile on an oatmeal stout.

I have been wanting to make a clone of this beer. In this months issue of BYO they have a recipe for it, along with 5 of their other beers.

I have been wanting to make a clone of this beer. In this months issue of BYO they have a recipe for it, along with 5 of their other beers.

Well, get on it.

I'm going to do a clone of the 04 VE probably early next month. The Bastogne yeast from WL is out right now, and that's what they used on it. Hands down, the best VE that was released to date.

That is what I have heard. I never had the chance to try it......that was before I got into beer.:eek:

I'll just send you the one I have left.

HAHAHHAHHAAAHAAAAAAAA.

I wish I had an '02 though. I think I discovered good beer in '02 and did not possess the foresight to keep one.

I can give you the recipe I just did for a chocolate oatmeal stout, but I honestly don't know how it's going to turn out as it is still aging.

If any more experienced brewer wants to comment on my recipe, feel free.

5 gallon batch
2lbs Extra Light DME
6lbs Dark LME (I modified a kit that was close to what I wanted to make, otherwise I wouldn't have used dark LME)
8oz Crystal 120L
8oz Chocolate malt
8oz flaked oats
4oz Roasted Barley
1oz Glacier 6.0%aau 90min
1.5oz Cascade 5.4%aau 60min
1.5oz Cascade 5.4%aau 30min
1oz Cascade 5.4%aau 0min
4oz Lactose
4oz Dutch Process Cocoa
White Labs California Ale Yeast #WLP001

*edited to correct recipe*

i just went to my LHBS and they were out of oats, so he put together something for me for a chocolate stout. can i just add oats to this recipe?

6# amber DME
1# dark DME
1# chocolate malt
1/2# roasted barley

2-oz phoenix 60 min
1-oz kent goldings 15 min

and he said to add bakers chocolate into the boil. my question is how much?

and what about oats?

and he gave me wyeast 1028 london

I just finised brewing an chocolate oatmeal stout tonight, ill get the recipe together and post it and ill also post once its done and let everyone know how it went.

I just picked up the ingredients for an oatmeal stout. I'm going to pick up some good chocolate this weekend to throw into it.

Don't have one, but I'm interested in a chocolate coffee stout if anybody has one (guess that'd be a "mocha stout", huh?)

Overcast Stout

7 lb Amber Malt Extract Syrup
1 lb Crystal 120L
.25 lb Black Patent
.5 lb Belgian Chocolate
1.5 lb Amber Malt Dry
4 oz Brewed Espresso
2 oz Hershey Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 lb Brown Sugar
WLP 023 (make a starter)

.5 oz Cascade 6.8% @ 60min
.25 oz Cascade 6.8% @ 30min
.25 oz Fuggle 6.0% @ 15min

Steep Crystal, Black Patent, and Belgian @ 170 F
Settled @ 160 F for 30 min in 1.5 gallons of water
Rinsed with 170 F water until water ran clear

Started with 6.5 gallons to finish with just over 5 after boil off

Last 15 min of boil add espresso and cocoa
Last 10 min of boil add brown sugar

OG 1.070……………FG 1.019
Active fermentation for roughly 2 weeks
Primary (4) weeks, Secondary (3) weeks, bottled I believe I waited another couple months before trying them and it was good but continued to get better with age.

A friend told me I should be brewing for a living after trying this brew.

i just went to my LHBS and they were out of oats, so he put together something for me for a chocolate stout. can i just add oats to this recipe?

6# amber DME
1# dark DME
1# chocolate malt
1/2# roasted barley

2-oz phoenix 60 min
1-oz kent goldings 15 min

and he said to add bakers chocolate into the boil. my question is how much?

and what about oats?

and he gave me wyeast 1028 london

You should be able to get oats at the grocery store. Depending on what store you go to they should have plain flaked oats in the bulk section. I know WinCo has them cheap if you have one around you. You can also get Instant Oats from the Cereal section, just make sure they're not flavored.

Back